Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. For more details and the full list, check the Event Calendar.
Monday, March 10, 2014
- Songbirds of the Northeast (6:30 pm) @ The Southborough Arts Center, 21 Highland Street: Presentation by naturalist John Root will feature photos, songs and calls of regional songbirds. Attendees will learn to recognize birds by ear as well as eye, plus “discover intriguing information” about their behavior. There will also be handouts with information about bird clubs, nature centers and other birding resources. The free event is partially sponsored by the Southborough Cultural Arts Council.
- Former Celtics player, Bob Bigelow (7:00 – 9:30 pm) @ Trottier Middle School Auditorium, 49 Parkerville Road: Former NBA 1st Round Draft Choice, Bob Bigelow, is coming to speak to parents and coaches about youth sports. This free event is open to the public. No registration necessary.
Tuesday, March 11, 2014:
- Library’s Teen Advisory Group (6:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Come and provide valuable input into the purchasing of young adult books and materials as well as help plan teen programs. Pizza and soda are donated by the Friends of the Southborough Library. Southborough ‘tweens and teens ages 11-18 are welcome to join this group. Call 508-485-5031 for more information.
Wednesday, March 12, 2014:
- Senior Center Book Group (11:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Pat Ellis from the Southborough Library runs a book club for the Senior Center the second Wednesday of every month. Call (508) 229-4453 if you would like to join. Feel free to sit in on one of the sessions.
- St. Patrick’s Day Party for Seniors (12:30 – 1:30 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: An Irish Meal of Corn Beef and Cabbage with all the fixings (or baked stuffed chicken upon request) by TJ Spirits. Immediately after lunch “Jug O’ Punch” band will perform. Suggested Donation of $6 for Friends of COA Members, $10 non-members
- MAJE Jazz Festival – ARHS Jazz II performance (3:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School: This is an annual jazz festival sponsored by the Massachusetts Association of Jazz Educators (MAJE). Groups are adjudicated and given written and recorded comments.
- Toto the Tornado Kitten (3:45 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Toto the Tornado Kitten and his owner, Jonathan Hall will visit the Library to read about this special kitten who survived the tornadoes in Western Massachusetts in June 2011. Registration is not required. (Toto’s book will be available for purchase and 100% of the proceeds go to Animal Rescue Groups.)
- Young Adult Book Group (6:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Southborough Library: Come join the young adult book group to discuss Royal Ranger, by John Flanagan. Pizza and soda are donated by the Southborough Dominos Pizza on Route 9.
- MAJE Jazz Festival – ARHS Jazz I performance (7:00 – 7:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School: This is an annual jazz festival sponsored by the Massachusetts Association of Jazz Educators (MAJE) . Groups are adjudicated and given written and recorded comments.
Thursday, March 13, 2014:
- Algonquin Parent Teacher Organization meeting (7:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School
Friday, March 14, 2014:
- Breakfast Club: 400 & Rising (10:00 am – 10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: 400 and Rising is a presentation by Carol Guyer, Chairman of the Southborough Green Technology and Recycling Committee. The presentation is an overview of the impact carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions are having on planet Earth. Includes steps that can be taken in Southborough to help mitigate the impact on our environment. Please sign up at the front desk or call (508) 229-4453.
- St. Patrick’s Day Party for Preschoolers (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Recreation Department, South Union Building, 21 Highland Street, 2nd Floor: Free party for Southborough residents only – A morning of fun, friends and refreshments with an Irish Musician & Storyteller, activities and crafts. Contact Southborough Recreation with any questions at 508-229-4452. (Click flyer to enlarge)
- Putt Putt Palooza (5:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Finn School: SOS fundraiser for Finn School. Indoor mini-golf, carnival games, DJ music, kids’ tattoos, pizza and bake sale. Fun activities for a range of young children. Entry is $10 at the door or $30 per family. (Finn families can buy discounted tickets through 3/11, $7 per person or $25 per family.)