Highlights this week include three talks for parents focusing on testing (MCAS and SATs/ACTS), three events commemorating Veterans Day, two school fundraisers (an Ice Cream Social/Basket Raffle and a professional “illusionist” from the Vegas stage), and the Southborough Gardeners’ annual festivities – Guest Day.
Plus, the library is seeking program input and offering an art workshop for children. And seniors are invited to play Bingo.
Monday, November 9, 2015
- All About MCAS” workshop (6:00 pm) @ Robert E. Melican School, 145 Lincoln St, Northborough: The workshop is offered by the Northborough-Southborough School District to parents/guardians who want to learn more about the state assessments. For event details, see dedicated post. For coverage of the district’s results, click here. (Note: On Thursday, Neary’s principal will hold a session focusing on their testing and results. Scroll down.)
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
- Veterans Day Luncheon (12:00 – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: The Southborough Senior Center’s annual Veterans Day celebration. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, November 11, 2015
- No Public School – Veteran’s Day
- Veterans Day Parade (10:15 am – 11:00 am) @ The American Legion/VFW Headquarters at the Community House: Prior to the annual ceremony, the town honors Veteran’s Day through a short parade. Parade participants (veterans, scouts, ARHS students, and government representatives) are asked to meet by 10:15 am. The procession to the All Wars Memorial will begin at 10:45 am
- Veterans Day Ceremony (11:00 am – 11:40 am) @ All Wars Memorial on the common across from the library. : Veterans will lead the town’s Veteran’s Day ceremony including readings and patriotic music. Southborough residents are encouraged to attend
- Celebrating Veteran Service (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Taft Hall at Saint Mark’s School: The Rotary Club of Southborough is sponsoring an evening to celebrate the service of our military veterans. The evening will consist of veterans from different eras in our nations history speaking about their experience with a short Q&A. For details, see dedicated post.
Thursday, November 12, 2015
- Neary Principal’s Coffee – MCAS overview (9:30 am – 10:30 am) @ Neary School: This month’s principal’s coffee for parents and SOS will focus on the school’s MCAS testing and results.
- Southborough Gardners’ Guest Day (10:00 am) @ Pilgrim Church: Annual holiday fundraiser. This year’s guest presenter is Laura Lindop. She will be creating arrangements in front of the crowd to demonstrate “Festive, ‘Flirtatious’ Florals”. For details, see dedicated post.
- SAT/ACT Information Session for Parents (5:00 – 6:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room downstairs: A brief session to inform parents of changes to the SAT and how it compares to ACTs. For details, see dedicated post.
- Program Advisory Group (6:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, upstairs: Do you have a great idea for a library program? Want to help make ballroom dancing happen in the book stacks? Want to help restart our Teen Book Club? Join the Library’s director Ryan Donovan and representatives from The Friends of the Southborough Library and Board of Trustees as we brainstorm and plan out future dynamic library programs. Please bring your best ideas!
Friday, November 13, 2015
- Bingo (12:30 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Come join Frank and Jan for an afternoon of Bingo, fun, prizes and of course Frank’s jokes. Bingo will start promptly at 12:30. The room will be open at noon if you would like to bring and enjoy your lunch before numbers are called. Please call the front desk if you would like to attend ‐ (508) 229‐4453
- Woodward ice cream social (5:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Woodward School: Woodward SOS fundraiser Tickets will be sold at the event for pizza, ice cream sundaes, the annual basket raffle, and sessions of gym games. Also features a Scholastic Book Sale.
- Vegas comes to Northborough (7:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School, Bartlett Street, Northborough, MA: Algonquin’s DECA chapter is bringing in “Master Illusionist” Lyn Dillies for a special performance. The show as billed as “an enchanting, family friendly event”. For details, see dedicated post.
Saturday, November 14, 2015
- Saturday Art Workshops for Children (10:30 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room: Children ages 5-10 are invited to be a part of monthly Saturday Art Workshops. Drop in to create some art! Use colored sand to paint a turkey or harvest picture. Registration is not required.