Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. (For more, check the Event Calendar.)
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For the Southborough Library’s regular storytime programs, click here for their events page. For the Southborough Senior Center’s ongoing classes, click here for their calendar.]
Tuesday, June 7, 2016
- Caterpillars, Live exhibition (3:00 – 7:00 pm) @ Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Road: Residents of all ages are invited to drop in to see the caterpillars on display. The free lab is a chance to get up and personal with many live species of caterpillars and learn the fascinating ways different species adapted to survive. For details, see dedicated post.
- Legos at the Library (3:45 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.
- Clarinet recital (7:30 – 8:30 pm) @ St. Mark’s School, Putnam Family Arts Center, Class of ’45 Hall: The recital is open to the public for free and will feature Kristian Baverstam on clarinet and Ilya Kazantsev on piano.
- Caterpillars presentation (7:00 pm) @ Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Road: A “visually stunning” presentation geared towards older children and adults. “Caterpillars of New England: Curious Critters with Surprising Stories”. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, June 8, 2016
Chestnut Hill Farm presentation (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor: Learn more about the Chestnut Hill Farm and how you can be a part of this amazing place. The farm includes 131 acres of land, orchard, and walking trails, year round programming, volunteer opportunities, and a rapidly growing Community Supported Agriculture program. For details, click on flyer.
Thursday, June 9, 2016
- Neary Spring Concert (7:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium: The school’s instrument program’s annual spring concert for families. The groups performing are the Fourth Grade Band, the Fifth Grade Band and the Maggie Neary Blues Band”.
- Coffeehouse for Save the Children (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School, Black Box Theater: The community is invited to an Algonquin Coffeehouse. Enjoy student performances over coffee and baked treats. To raise money for Save the Children, tickets will be sold for $2.student and $3/adults. (Kids can attend for free.) For details, see dedicated post.
Friday, June 10, 2016
- Senior Matinee – Joy (12:00 – 2:05 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Free PG-13 movie screening for Southborough seniors. Starring Jennifer Lawrence and Robert Deniro – American biographical comedy-drama film about the unusual rise of an entrepreneur. Before the show, the center will serve lunch (suggested donation of $3). Seniors are also welcome to bring their own lunch. To ensure there is enough lunch to serve – please pre-register at 508-229-4453.
Saturday, June 11, 2016
- First Community Church Sale (9:00 am – 1:00 pm) @ First Community Church, 137 Southville Road: Yard Sale and Bake Sale – Rain or shine. Household goods, puzzles, books, clothing, furniture.
- Return of the Bobolink (2:00 – 3:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: The farm meadow is one of the few spots in the state the song bird can be found. Hear the story of their incredible annual journey, learn they are importance, then take a walk to look for them. Kids are welcome and projects will follow. Bring binoculars if you have them. Fee: Member: $5; Nonmember: $10. Click here for more details. [Editor’s Note: Click here to see pics blogger Dawn Puliafico has captured of Bobolinks on the farm in the past.]
- Steeple Cofeehouse (7:30 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common Street: Headlining: Blackstone Valley Bluegrass. Doors open at 7:oo pm. Please bring a donation for the Southborough Food Pantry. Proceeds from coffee and desert purchases go towards local charities. In advance online: $15 General/$12 Students & Seniors; at the door: $18 General/$15 Students & Seniors. For more details, visit www.steeplecoffeehouse.org.
Updated (6/6/16 8:02 am): Added First Community Church’s just announced Yard Sale.