Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. (For more, check the Event Calendar.)
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For the Southborough Library’s regular storytime programs, click here for their events page. For the Southborough Senior Center’s ongoing classes, click here for their calendar.]
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
- Legos at the Library (3:45 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Children are welcome to come build with Legos, and display their creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided, but all materials need to remain at the library. Parents or caregivers must stay with children during this event.
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
- Nutrition Demo: Squash—Done Fun! (11:30 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Free cooking demo. Karen White, a registered dietitian, teaches seniors how to eat better. Have you tried Spaghetti Squash! Have you made zucchini noodles? Both are easy to make and are tasty! No Charge, but limited seating so pre-register by calling 508-229-4453.
- Poetry Workshop Series (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Public Library, main floor: The first of another two-part workshop this month through the continuing partnership between the Southborough Public Library & the Worcester County Poetry Association. Join several Southborough poets as they review and discuss the work of a featured author and discuss & create poetry of their own. (Click here for more information on the series.)
- Special Town Meeting (7:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Southborough voters will determine the outcome on several Warrant Articles. The meeting’s intended focus is on the Public Safety Building and the St. Mark’s Golf Course. But there are also several citizen’s petitions. Click here for posts on the meeting.
- NSPAC Workshop with guest attorney (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School (ARHS) Library located at 79 Bartlett St., Northborough: Local Special Education groups are hosting the workshop with Atty. Dan Perlman. The topic is “When you Disagree about an IEP: How to Effectively Resolve Special Education Conflicts”. This free workshop will help if you find yourself at a crossroads with your IEP or 504 team. He will discuss your rights and options, well as guide you on how to utilize these in a collaborative, straight forward manner in order to achieve results. Come learn how to move from conflict to solution. Additional information and resources can be found on www.nspac.org
Thursday, March 9, 2017
- Senior hike (1:15 pm) @ carpool from Southborough Senior Center: Event organized by the Trailblazers. This hike is at Gates Pond Reservoir in Berlin. Please sign up for these outdoor activities by calling (508) 229-4453. For more details, see dedicated post.
- Neary Noodle Night (5:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Neary School, Parkerville Road: Neary SOS’ biggest annual fundraiser for students and family. Event includes pasta dinner “with all the fixings”, Minute to Win It challenges, a Basket Raffle and more. For details, see dedicated post.
Friday, March 10, 2017
- Senior Matinee – Sully (12:00 – 1:36 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Free movie screening for Southborough seniors. PG-13, Biographical drama directed by Clint Eastwood about American pilot Chesley Sullenberger heralded for his successful emergency landing of a commercial airplane in the Hudson River. The film covers the investigation afterwards that threatened to destroy his reputation and his career. (Before the show, the center will serve lunch in the “cafe” beginning at 11:15 for a suggested donation of $3. Pre-register by calling 508-229-4453.)
- Southborough Rotary Club Talent Show (7:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium: 17th annual show sponsored by the Southborough Rotary Club. Students from Trottier, Neary and Algonquin will show off their talents. The Saint Mark’s Jazz band will also perform. Tickets are $10pp and can be purchased at the door, or in advance at the school or the Southborough Library at the Main Floor Circulation Desk. See dedicated post for details.
Saturday, March 11, 2017
- Saturdays at Fay – Bubble Show (10:00 am – 11:00 am) @ Fay’s Primary School, 23 Middle Road: A free morning program designed for children ages 2-8 along with their parents. Mike the Bubble Man will combine science and magic. Through music, choreography, and comedy bubbles come alive, sparking imagination and wonder. Followed by a complimentary snack. Space is limited so please register online.
- Puppet Show (11:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor: Sparky’s Puppets will entertain you with “Stories from Outer Space.” Open to the public, no registration required
Sunday, March 12, 2017
- Girl Scout Sunday – Celebration of Sisterhood (3:00 – 4:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St: All Southborough Girl Scouts and their family members are invited to this inclusive, interfaith service in celebration of Girl Scout week. A short reception follows the service.