Finally, some good news to share about the THawks Football. The team made its first win of the season. The boys beat Groton-Dunstable 41-0 in the Homecoming weekend home game. I don’t know what was behind the big victory over a challenger that won its last two games. But, the team must be hoping that its a sign that program changes are working.
The school paper, the Harbinger, wrote about the team’s program changes in a story that posted this morning:
The football team is looking to formulate success this season through several program changes involving team culture, coaching staff and uniforms.
Head coach Taylor Allen says that improving team culture, the attitude the team has towards each other and achieving a common goal, is a top priority this year. (read more)
Last week, the Telegram covered efforts by two of the team’s running backs to get the THawks back on track:
the junior running back tandem of Rio Ferguson and Cassius Clay are proving to be difference-makers and have helped the Tomahawks become a much better team than their 0-2 record would suggest. (read more)
Other Algonquin teams that had a stronger season start continue to shine. Girls Volleyball remains at the top of its game with a perfect 8-0 record. Boys Cross Country added another win (over Leominster), making their meet record 3-0.
Field Hockey broke its long winning streak last Monday but remains undefeated. The team followed its 2-2 tie to Shrewsbury with two more wins. The record now stands at 9-0-1.
Undefeated Girls Soccer is on a 5-game winning streak, with a 6-0-2 record. You can see pics from its victory over Wachusett last Thursday in the Telegram.
Boys Soccer hasn’t lost another game since the first week of the season but has bounced back and forth between wins and ties. Its record is now 4-1-4.
Girls Cross Country improved its record to 2-1 by beating Leominster last week. They also performed in an invitational tournament on Saturday. Yesterday, the team tweeted:
Great showing at the Ocean state invitational yesterday!!! JV snagged 6th place as a team and Varsity with an 11th (out of 30 schools)
Boys Golf’s team record has been more uneven this season. Last week saw another loss (to Shrewsbury) followed by another win (over Marlborough). They’re now at 5-4-1.
Now, here are the ARHS varsity games on tap for the week.
(To find a complete schedule of Algonquin sports, including JV, freshmen, and unified match ups, click here. Follow these links for the Assabet sports schedule and the St. Mark’s sports schedule.)
Tuesday, October 1, 2019
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Cross Country vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Shrewsbury
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Cross Country vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Shrewsbury
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Golf vs. St. John’s @ Wachusett Country Club
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Soccer vs. Westborough High School @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Soccer vs. Westborough High School @ Westborough High School
- 5:15 pm – ARHS Girls Volleyball vs. Groton-Dunstable Regional @ Groton-Dunstable Regional High School
Wednesday, October 2, 2019
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Field Hockey vs. Wachusett Regional @ Wachusett Reg. High School
Thursday, October 3, 2019
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Golf vs. Wachusett Regional @ Holden Hill Country Club
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Soccer vs Leominster @ Algonquin ( stadium field)
Friday, October 4, 2019
- 3:15 pm – ARHS Boys Golf vs. Westborough High School @ Juniper Hills Golf Course
- 5:15 pm – ARHS Girls Volleyball vs. Marlborough High School @ Marlborough High School
Saturday, October 5, 2019
- 10:00am ARHS Boys Cross Country – Wachusett Invitational @ Wachusett Reg. High School
- 3:00 pm – ARHS Football vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Algonquin
- 5:00 pm – ARHS Girls Soccer vs. North Middlesex Regional @ North Middlesex Regional High School
Have a photo of your favorite team in action to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.