Last week was a good start to the season for three Algonquin teams. The win that got students the most pumped was Gonk Football’s big win in the first home game this fall last Friday.
The Telegram wrote:
Algonquin Regional had lost to Doherty High in the season opener the past two seasons, and it looked like it might become three years in a row after the Highlanders went into halftime Friday night with a two-touchdown lead.
Algonquin flipped the script in the second half, though, scoring 23 unanswered, and getting two interceptions to shut out T&G’s sixth-ranked large school football team over the final two quarters, as the hosts pulled off a stunning, 23-14 upset.
“It means a lot because a lot of people counted us out before the game even started,” said senior captain Cole Hostage, who was making his first start at quarterback. “I just told my boys every week in practice, go out with a reason to play, and we’ll play for each other, and we’ll go out there and get that win.”
— Worcester T&G Sports (@tgsports) September 11, 2021
Other winners last week were Boys Golf (over Westborough 40-32) and Girls Volleyball (over Nashoba 3-1). Not as successful were Boys and Girls Soccer which both lost their season openers. Field Hockey tied Wachusett in theirs, but lost to Sutton two days later.
Now, here are the ARHS varsity games on tap for this week. (It includes the first meets for Boys and Girls Cross Country.)
Monday, September 13, 2021
- 3:30 pm – ARHS Boys Golf vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Haven Golf Course
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Cross Country vs. Wachusett Regional @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Cross Country vs. Wachusett Regional @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Field Hockey vs. Grafton @ Grafton High School
- 5:15 pm – ARHS Girls Volleyball vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Algonquin
- 6:00 pm – ARHS Girls Soccer vs. Concord-Carlisle High School @ Algonquin
Wednesday, September 15, 2021
- 3:30 pm – ARHS Boys Golf vs. Leominster @ Juniper Hills Golf Course
Friday, September 17, 2021
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Field Hockey vs. Marlborough High School @ Marlborough High School, 431 Bolton St., Marlborough
- 5:30 pm – ARHS Girls Volleyball vs. Westborough High School @ Algonquin
- 7:00 pm – ARHS Football vs. Nashoba Regional High School @ Nashoba Regional High School
Saturday, September 18, 2021
- TBA – ARHS Boys Cross Country Relays @ Ghiloni Park
- 12:00 pm – ARHS Girls Cross Country – Amherst Invitational @ Hampshire College
- 6:00 pm – ARHS Boys Soccer vs. Marlborough High School @ Whitcomb Middle School
(To check for changes or find a complete schedule of Algonquin sports, including JV, freshmen, and unified match ups, click here. Follow these links for the Assabet sports schedule and the St. Mark’s sports schedule.)
Have a photo of your favorite team in action to share? Email email@example.com.