The regular fall season is beginning to wind down with playoff brackets to be posted this month.
Boys Golf is generally ahead of the curve in their playing season. Last Thursday, the Titans already placed 3rd at the MidWach A League Championship.
On Friday, Cross Country teams headed to the annual Twilight Invitational held by the Mass State Track Coaches Assoc.
In the “Large Schools” category, ARHS Boys placed 5th out of 28 schools. Four of their runners made the top ¼, and another was just a step behind. (Aiden Ruiz #42, Joseph Lamburn #46, Matt Zhang #51, Johnny Meschisen #52, and Steve White #53). The Girls placed 8th out of 22 schools, and two of their members made the top ⅕ (Ada Gebauer #26 and Olivia Guckain #29).
For most of the other Titans teams, this week is their last shot to improve their standings before state tournament brackets are listed. Below are the teams’ updated power rankings based on adjustments made prior to Friday and Saturday games.
The only undefeated Titans team, Girls Soccer, now has 7 wins and 6 ties. The Girls scored a win over Shrewsbury and a tie against Westborough prior to the MIAA Power Rankings. That boosted them two more spots to #9 for Division 1. On Saturday, they followed with another win, 6-1 over Sutton.
MetroWest Daily News covered their second tie this season against rival Westborough, which is also undefeated (8-0-4). The paper wrote:
Algonquin’s second goal was the prettiest of the match. Senior Sadie Canela dribbled deep into the Westborough penalty area before sending a left-footed cross into the goalmouth where junior Kylie Tomasetti was patient to stay onside. Her own left-footed one-time volley hit the crossbar before bounding into the back of the net for a 2-0 advantage.
“We had a beautiful second goal and that really should have been enough,” Algonquin coach John Frederick said. “Westborough, they play with a bunch of energy and they come at you and they wait to pounce on a mistake and that’s what they did. Give them credit for continuing to work through it.”
In D2 Football, the Titans dropped again to 29 out 34, before getting shutout by Leominster 0-34.
Now, here are the ARHS varsity games on tap for this week:
Monday, October 17, 2022
- 9:00 am – Boys Golf MIAA District Tournament @ Heritage Country Club
- 5:15 pm – Girls Volleyball vs. Wachusett Regional @ Algonquin
- 6:30 pm – Field Hockey vs. Nashoba Regional High School @ Nashoba Regional High School
Tuesday, October 18, 2022
- 6:00 pm – Girls Soccer vs. Holliston @ Algonquin
Wednesday, October 19, 2022
- 3:45 pm – Girls Cross Country Junior Varsity vs. Wachusett Regional @ Wachusett Reg. High School
- 3:45 pm – Boys Cross Country Junior Varsity vs. Wachusett Regional @ Wachusett Reg. High School
- 4:00 pm – Field Hockey vs. Shrewsbury High School @ New England Baseball Complex
- 5:15 pm – Girls Volleyball vs. Shepherd Hill Regional High School @ Algonquin
Thursday, October 20, 2022
- 5:00 pm – Girls vs. Wachusett Regional @ Algonquin
- 7:00 pm – Boys Soccer vs. Wachusett Regional @ Algonquin
Friday, October 21, 2022
- 4:00 pm – Field Hockey vs. Franklin @ Franklin High School
- 5:15 pm – Girls Volleyball vs. Nashoba Regional High School @ Algonquin
- 7:00 pm – Football vs. Marlborough High School @ Kelleher Field
Saturday, October 22, 2022
- TBD – Cheer Football Invitational vs. Concord-Carlisle High School @ Concord-Carlisle
- TBD – Girls Cross Country League Meet @ Lunenburg
- TBD – Boys Cross Country League Meet @ Lunenburg
- 10:00 am – Girls Soccer vs. Nipmuc Regional @ Nipmuc Regional
(To check for changes or find a complete schedule of Algonquin sports, including JV, freshmen, and unified match ups, click here. Follow these links for the Assabet sports schedule and the St. Mark’s sports schedule.)