Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town through next weekend.
Thanks to Andrea Thomas Interiors for sponsoring this post.
(The gray font below is for previously established events that take place regularly – at least 2x per month or more frequently.)
Some items worth noting: There is no public school two days this week, thanks to the Election and Veteran’s Day. Plus TTOR’s Hike with Goat events are all full this fall, so I removed them from the calendar.
Saturday, November 5, 2022
- Southborough Safe Spaces – Youth Art Night (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St: Saturday Pride Identity Art Project for grades 6-12, featuring abstract watercolor and blackout poetry/book painting. Dinner provided. Hosted by Southborough Safe Spaces (A social group for LBGTQ+ youth of all faiths and their allies.) For details, click here.
Monday, November 7, 2022
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Trottier Middle School’s outdoor track: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Creativity Club (3:30 – 4:30 pm) @ Southborough, Library Teen Room: Young adults ages 12 to 18 are invited to drop-in to work on creative projects. Craft materials will be available and writing prompts and projects provided. No pre-registration required.
Tuesday, November 8, 2022 – Election Day
- No Public School
- State Election (6:30 am – 8:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: Election for state-wide, regional offices, and congressional representatives, plus ballot questions. For details, see dedicated post.
- Junior Farmer for a Day (9:00 am – 3:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: Program for grades K-5 . Help care for farm animals, learn about farm-fresh food, hike the trails, create natural crafts, and explore the farm from the eyes of its most important team member: the farmer. Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
- Technology Help for seniors (10:00 am – 3:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Pre-registration for a time slot is required. Participants will receive professional support with their tech devices. For details, see related post.
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years old and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Senior Songsters (11:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ where: The Senior Center’s singing group’s weekly rehearsal. This friendly group is open to any senior who enjoys singing regardless of ability. (Those who prefer to listen can sit in.) For details, see related post.
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Tuesday Tech Time (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: Each week, library staff and teen volunteers will make every effort to assist patrons with technology questions. Bring questions about ebooks and electronic resources. This is a drop in event; no registrations necessary.
Wednesday, November 9, 2022
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Elder Law Advice (10:00 – 10:45 am) @ phone or zoom: Southborough seniors can sign up for a free 15 minute session of individualized legal advice from an Elder Law attorney. For details, see the Senior Center’s newsletter, p. 10.
- Young Scientists STEM Beginnings (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: 1st class in a free 6 week series for kids ages 3-6 to learn Science, Technology, Engineering and Math concepts through hands-on activities, story time and simple experiments. Please register at the library or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For details, see dedicated post.
- Veterans Day Celebration (12:30 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Pre-registration is required (and it may be full). A lunch, followed by flag ceremony in honor of veterans and patriotic songs by the Southborough Songsters. For details, see related post.
- Southborough Rotary Interact Club (7:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: Take action, build international understanding, and make new friends around the world. Interact clubs bring together young people ages 12-18 to develop leadership skills while discovering the power of Service Above Self. Find out how serious leadership can be seriously fun.
Thursday, November 10, 2022
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Baby/Toddler Storytime (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: This weekly story time is for children age 0-2 years and their parents or caregivers. Each session will include puppets, stories, and music. No registration required.
- Southborough Gardeners’ Guest Day (9:30 am) @ Pilgrim Church, Fellowship Hall, 15 Common St: The Southborough Gardeners are holding their annual November Guest Day. It includes a floral arranging demonstration from their expert speaker, refreshments, and raffles. For details, see dedicated post.
- All About Goats (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: For ages 4+. Learn about what makes these popular farm animals unique, and get to brush them. For details, see related post.
- Wagashi Making Workshop (7:00 pm) @ zoom Free virtual workshop offered by the Southborough Library – but pre-registration is required. Learn how to make an autumnal themed Japanese sweet. For details, see dedicated post.
Friday, November 11, 2022 – Veterans Day
- Town offices, Town facilities, and public schools closed
- Veteran’s Day Ceremony (11:00 am) @ All Wars Memorial (downtown, across from the Main Street entrance of the Southborough Library): The Town’s annual ceremony honoring resident veterans and the memory of those who served. Stay tuned for dedicated post. (Though the event is likely to follow the same format as prior years.)
Saturday, November 12, 2022
- Southborough Library closed
- Chestnut Hill by Moonlight (6:00 – 7:30 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: This evening guided walk is themed “Hunkering Down for Winter”. Pre-registration (and fee) required. TTOR’s ranger will share winter preparedness tips, and teach about building emergency shelters before a moonlit hike under the bare winter trees. For details, see related post.
Sunday, November 13, 2022
- Kids! Turkey Trot (9:00 am check-in with 10:00 am races) @ Trottier Middle School: Southborough Kindergroup is hosting a free pre-Thanksgiving fun run. Kids of all ages are welcomed to join them for a series of fun runs. Age categories span from a stroller race to ages 8+. For details, see dedicated post.
Update (11/7/22 8:48 am): Initially, I posted that I was unsure if the Select Board would hold their usual monthly office hours this Tuesday, since it’s the day of the State election. The office confirmed that won’t take place this week.