Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town this weekend through next weekend.
(The gray font below is for previously established events that take place regularly – at least 2x per month or more frequently.)
Saturday, December 31, 2022
- Town Facilities closed – The Transfer Station and Southborough Library are closed on New Year’s Eve.
Monday, January 2, 2023
- Schools and Public Offices closed: It’s the state/federal holiday observing New Years Day.
Tuesday, January 3, 2023
- Register for Senior Center winter programs (10:00 am) @ 508-229-4453: Pre-registration opens for Southborough Senior Center January and February events. For details, see the Senior Center’s newsletter.
- Senior Songsters (11:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: The Senior Center’s singing group’s weekly rehearsal. This friendly group is open to any senior who enjoys singing regardless of ability. (Those who prefer to listen can sit in.) For details, see related post.
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Tuesday Tech Time (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: Each week, library staff and teen volunteers will make every effort to assist patrons with technology questions. Bring questions about ebooks and electronic resources. This is a drop in event; no registrations necessary.
- Cook Book Club (6:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Southborough Library: Whip up a dish from the Library’s recipe database and bring it into the Library to share with others. (New participants, and all ages/partners are always welcome.) For details, see related post.
Wednesday, January 4, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- College Essay Workshop (3:00 – 4:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: The Youth Services Librarian will offer review and offer feedback on essay drafts for college applications. Priority will be given to those who sign up in advance by emailing email@example.com. For details, see dedicated post.
- Southborough Rotary Club (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor: Regular meeting of the Rotary Club of Southborough. New and prospective members are always welcome. (Held on the 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of the month.)
Thursday, January 5, 2023
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Preschool Farm Explorers (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: For ages 2 years 9 months to 5 years old, Adult supervision required Bundle up and we’ll explore the farm and woodlands of Chestnut Hill Farm. Who knows what wintery delights await? Topics could include: animal tracking, ice experiments, snow activities, or animal hibernation. (Not a drop-off program.) (Offered twice per month.) Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
- Drop-In Lego building (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Room: Drop by the library to build with Legos! Best for ages 4 and up. Kids can display their finished creations in the Children’s Room. Legos will be provided by the library. No registration required.
- Raising Resilient Kids: Your Child’s Emotional Superpower (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School, auditorium, 79 Bartlett St, Northborough. One of a series of expert talks for Southborough and Northborough parents, sponsored by Southborough Public Health. (This session: Learn about the biological developmental stages your child’s emotion-processing centers go through during preadolescence and adolescence.) For details, see dedicated post.
Friday, January 6, 2023
- Dull Men’s Club (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Casual social club for senior men. New members are always welcome to drop in. For details, see dedicated post.
- Canasta (11:15 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Learn to Play Ukulele (3:00 – 4:30 pm) @ Southborough Library:A free intro into playing the Ukulele for ages 8-18. After a short lesson, you’ll be able to play songs. No experience necessary. This is part 1 of a 2 part lesson. For details, see dedicated post.
- Southborough Safe Spaces – Pajama Party Movie Night (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St: Event for grades 6-12 Hosted by Southborough Safe Spaces for LBGTQ+ youth of all faiths and their allies. For details, click here.
Saturday, January 7, 2023
- Boy Scout Troop 1 Annual Christmas Tree Removal (9:00 am) @ driveways of those who register by Friday night. For details, see dedicated post.
- Open Lab for Ideas (10:30 – 12:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: Biweekly program for 12-18 yr olds to explore how they can use Library equipment to take creative project ideas and make them a reality.
- Sit & Knit (2:00 – 4:00pm) @ Southborough Library: Biweekly program for ages 18+ to drop in and work on your latest knitting or crochet projects while you enjoy the company of fellow yarn crafters in a relaxed social setting. All levels are welcome but no formal instruction will be given.
- Chestnut Hill by Moonlight: Howling at the Wolf Moon (4:30 – 6:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm:. For details, see related post.
Updated (1/6/23 3:48 pm): I missed the Library’s Open Lab this Saturday.