There were no big tournaments over the past week. But Algonquin Titans did have five matchups against their rivals the Westborough Rangers. They succeeded in winning four of them.
Here are the result highlights from last week followed by what’s on tap for this week. (Score links below are to the Telegram’s recaps.)
On Wednesday, Boys Ice Hockey beat the Rangers 1-0. The Community Advocate covered Titans’ coach Gregory Cappello’s take on the game:
Because the Rangers and Titans are rivals, Cappello said playing Westborough is “always a challenge.”
“We have a lot of respect for how they go about it. They play rough. They play physical and that challenges our guys to raise the level of our game and to hold up to the physical play and push through it,” Cappello said.
Junior Jack Gulachenski scored the game’s lone goal, which Cappello attributed to his patience and ability to be poised under pressure.
On Saturday, Boys Swimming’s 92-70 win over Westborough improved its record to 6-1.
The one Titans team to lose to the Rangers last week, was the one that hasn’t won a competition this season — Girls Swimming. The ARHS Girls lost 95-57. Still it wasn’t all bad news for the team. Titans’ Mina Chung won the 200 individual medley and 500 freestyle. According to prior Telegram recaps, Chung had already qualified to compete at states earlier this season.
On Wednesday, Nashoba wrestled on Algonquin’s mats. According to ARHS Athletics’ tweet Gonk’s 39-33 win was sealed by Jr. Adam Ayzenshtat with a pin at 220lbs. The meet improved the team’s record to 2-3-1.
Algonquin’s Girls Ice Hockey co-op team suffered its first loss of the season 1-0 to the Billerica co-op. That was followed by a more recent 3-2 overtime win over King Philip Regional. Their record now stands at 5-1-1.
Now, here’s the schedule for this week’s varsity competitions:
Tuesday, January 10, 2023
- 6:00 pm – Girls Basketball vs. Fitchburg @ Algonquin
- 6:30 pm – Girls Ice Hockey vs. Franklin @ Pirelli Veteran’s Skating Arena
- 6:30 pm – Girls Swimming vs. Bromfield @ Clark University
- 6:30 pm – Boys Swimming vs. Bromfield @ Clark University
- 7:00 pm – Boys Basketball vs. Fitchburg @ Fitchburg High School, 140 Arn Howe Farm Rd., Fitchburg
Wednesday, January 11, 2023
- 4:00 pm – Girls Indoor Track vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Shrewsbury
- 4:00 pm – Boys Indoor Track vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Shrewsbury
- 6:30 pm – Wrestling vs. North Middlesex Regional @ North Middlesex Regional High School
- 7:30 pm – Boys Ice Hockey vs. Hopedale Jr./Sr. @ Blackstone Valley Ice Arena
Thursday, January 12, 2023
- 6:00 pm – Ski Team – Slalom Race @ Ski Ward Ski Area
Friday, January 13, 2023
- 3:30 pm – Girls Swimming vs. Wachusett Regional @ Worcester Jewish Community Center
- 3:30 pm – Boys Swimming vs. Wachusett Regional @ Worcester Jewish Community Center
- 4:00 pm – Girls Indoor Track – Northeast Invitational @ Reggie Lewis Track Center
- 4:00 pm – Boys Indoor Track – Northeast Invitational @ Reggie Lewis Track Center
- 6:30 pm – Gymnastics vs. Groton-Dunstable Regional @ Algonquin
Saturday, January 14, 2023
- 10:00 am – Girls Indoor – Northeast Invitational @ Reggie Lewis Track Center
- 10:00 am – Boys Indoor Track – Northeast Invitational @ Reggie Lewis Track Center
- 10:00 am – Wrestling Tri-Meet @ Algonquin
(To check for changes or find a complete schedule of Algonquin sports, including JV, freshmen, and unified match ups, click here. Follow these links for the Assabet sports schedule and the St. Mark’s sports schedule.)