Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town this weekend through next weekend.
(The gray font below is for previously established events that take place regularly – at least 2x per month or more frequently.)
Saturday, January 28, 2023
- Shrek Jr (3:00 – 4:15 pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium, 49 Parkerville Rd: Annual schoool musical starring Trottier 6-8th grade students. (Stay tuned for info on tickets.)
Sunday, January 29, 2023
- NAHS Winter Wonderland (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School Cafeteria, 79 Bartlett St. Northborough: Algonquin’s National Art Honors Society is hosting a free community event (but donations are appreciated). Enjoy crafts, hot cocoa, a story station, and winter cheer. For details see dedicated post.
Monday, January 30, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Trottier Middle School’s outdoor track: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Knitting Club (1:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Bi-monthly social knitting group. Beginners are welcome and supplies will be provided, though you can also bring your own and “any creation you are working on”. For planning purposes, the Senior Center is asking potential attendees to RSVP. For details, see related post.
- Youth Writing Club (3:30 – 4:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: Weekly Library program for youth ages 11-18. Participants are invited to come share ideas and practice writing skills in a supportive environment. No sign up necessary.
Tuesday, January 31, 2023
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years old and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Tuesday Tech Time (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: Each week, library staff and teen volunteers will make every effort to assist patrons with technology questions. Bring questions about ebooks and electronic resources. This is a drop in event; no registrations necessary.
- Geeks Who Drink Trivia Night (8:00 – 10:00 pm) @ Owen O’Leary’s, 50 Turnpike Rd: Weekly Trivia game night with prizes. Seven rounds of eight questions each, in a variety of formats, including audio and visual rounds. Teams can be up to six players, so bring friends or come solo and join a team. No reservations needed. For details, see click here.
Wednesday, February 1, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Young Scientists STEM Beginnings (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: 1st class in a free 6 week series for kids ages 3-6 to learn Science, Technology, Engineering and Math concepts through hands-on activities, story time and simple experiments. Please register at the library or by emailing email@example.com. For details, see dedicated post.
- Southborough Rotary Club (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor: Regular meeting of the Rotary Club of Southborough. New and prospective members are always welcome. (Held on the 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of the month.)
Thursday, February 2, 2023
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Baby/Toddler Storytime (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: This weekly story time is for children age 0-2 years and their parents or caregivers. Each session will include puppets, stories, and music. No registration required.
- Preschool Farm Explorers (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: For ages 2 years 9 months to 5 years old, Adult supervision required (discount for younger siblings and siblings under 1 yr old can attend for free) Your little farm explorers will become fully immersed in what life is like here at Chestnut Hill. Each session will have a different theme. (Offered twice per month.) Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
- Parenting talk: Internet Safety (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Fay Primary School: Fay School’s Ideas&Insights presents Internet Safety Expert Katie LeClerc Greer on “How Do We Keep Our Kids Safe in this Technology-Driven World?”. For details, see dedicated post.
Friday, February 3, 2023
- Dull Men’s Club (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Casual social club for senior men. New members are always welcome to drop in. For details, see dedicated post.
- Canasta (11:15 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Kate Donaghue Office Hours (1:00 – 3:00 pm) @ Mauro’s Village Cafe, 2 Main St: The new State Rep for our district has invited residents to join her for short meetings during these local “Office Hours”. For details, see dedicated post.
- Postponed – NSPAC Mini Golf Fundraiser (4:30 – 6:30 pm) @ Trombetta’s Farm, 655 Farm Road, Marlborough: The fundraiser for Northborough Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council includes indoor mini golf, food, a raffle and more. For details, see dedicated post.
Saturday, February 4, 2023
- Open Lab for Ideas (10:30 – 12:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: Biweekly program for 12-18 yr olds to explore how they can use Library equipment to take creative project ideas and make them a reality.
- Sit & Knit (2:00 – 4:00pm) @ Southborough Library: Biweekly program for ages 18+ to drop in and work on your latest knitting or crochet projects while you enjoy the company of fellow yarn crafters in a relaxed social setting. All levels are welcome but no formal instruction will be given.
- Cancelled – Chestnut Hill by Moonlight (4:30 – 5:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: “Exploring Winter Life by the Full Snow Moon”. Event with guided night hike includes creating birdfeeders and hunting for other signs of winter wildlife at dusk. Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
- Southborough Safe Spaces – Valentine’s Party (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St: Event is for grades 6-12 hosted by the group for LBGTQ+ youth and allies. Make Valentine’s Day crafts, bring your favorite book that might include a love story, and bake a heart-shaped cookies to decorate. Pizza dinner provided. For details, see their website (and look for updates on Facebook).
Sunday, February 5, 2023
- Winter Sow Seed Pickup (11:30 am – 12:30 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Road: Drive-through pick up of pre-ordered free native plant seeds through Southborough’s Open Space Preservation Commission’s 2023 Winter Sow program. For details, see dedicated post.
- Winter Sow Workshop (11:30 am – 12:30 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Road: Pre-registration is required to participate in the free hands-on workshop offered by Southborough’s Open Space Preservation Commission. For details, see dedicated post.
Updated (1/30/22 8:05 am): I learned about a weekly Trivia game night at Owen O’Leary’s on Tuesdays.
Updated (1/31/22 3:29 pm): Our State Rep announced local Office Hours for February 3rd.
Updated 2/3/22 5:05 pm): NSPAC Mini Golf was postponed due to the weather. The Chestnut Hill Moonlit Hike was cancelled. And I had forgotten to add the Winter Sow events for this weekend.