The K-8 School Committee meeting this week agreed to revisit the question of whether Southborough should close one of its four schools due to declining enrollment, reports the Metrowest Daily News. The decision comes after a tense meeting earlier this week with the Advisory Committee. At that meeting former Advisory Committee member Al Hamilton presented numbers that suggest the school population will decrease by 35 to 40 percent over the next decade.
From the Metrowest Daily News:
While Superintendent Charles Gobron confirmed Wednesday that enrollment is declining, he said he does not agree with Hamilton’s projections. Gobron has proposed eliminating one teacher from the fiscal 2013 budget because he expects enrollment to decline by 30 students next year.
Advisory Chairwoman Claire Reynolds — who expressed concern Monday about not receiving information — spoke during the School Committee’s public comment session Wednesday.
“Please understand that we are not looking for (the committee) to scramble around putting material together, we’re just looking for what you have currently put together,” she said. “An adversarial relationship does not help anybody. We want to work together. We really do.”
Citing its policy to not respond to public comment, the committee did not reply.
School Committee Chairperson Marybeth Strickland put the topic on the agenda for next month’s meeting. You can read more about the decision to reconsider school consolidation in this article by the MWDN.