Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. For more details and the full list, check the Event Calendar.
Monday, May 12, 2014:
- Concert – Kariné Pogosyan, Pianist (1:00 pm) @ St. Mark’s School, Putnam Family Arts Center, Class of ’45 Hall: Free public concert; Performance of works by Liszt, Albeniz, & Ginastra; Poghosyan has been described as “extraordinary” and “larger than life” pianist, whose playing goes “to the heart of the music.” NY Concert Review called her a pianist who “has that spark.” She made her orchestral debut at 14 playing Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No.1, and her solo Carnegie Hall debut at 23.
- Southborough Orthodontics’ Ribbon Cutting (7:00 pm) @ 162 Cordavile Road: Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for new office in Southborough. Enjoy Light appetizers, beverages and wine. Meet Dr. M. Gabriela Márquez, D.M.D. M.S.D. – member of the American Association of Orthodontists and a diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics
- Algonquin Tri-M Open Mic Night Coffeehouse (7:00 pm) @ ARHS cafeteria: Annual fundraiser held by ARHS’ Tri-M music society. Enjoy a variety of musical performances as well as home baked goodies and coffee. All proceeds benefit the Dennis Wrenn Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Wednesday, May 14, 2014:
- Your Body after Death (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: “What Will Happen to Your Body After You Die?” Mirick O’Connell’s Attorney Arthur Bergeron will discuss funeral arrangements, pre-need contracts, cremation, organ donation, burial plots, all you need to know about where your body will go after you dies and how you can control the process. Refreshments provided
- The Friends of the Southborough Library (7:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: Anyone who wishes to help support the library is welcome to join the monthly meeting.
Thursday, May 15, 2014:
- NSPAC’s “Go the Distance” Awards Night (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School Gymnasium: The Northborough/Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council’s fourth annual “Go the Distance” Appreciation Awards evening. District residents were encouraged to nominate individuals who made a positive difference in the life of a child with special needs. All of those who were nominated will be recognized. Refreshments will be served.For more details, see dedicated post.
- Asian Longhorned Beetle & Emerald Ash Borer talk (6:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Hearing Room, Town House: Concerned by tree loss due to beetle infestation, the Southborough Conservation Commission is sponsoring community education on the topic. For more details, see dedicated post.
Saturday, May 17, 2014:
- SOLF Bird Walk (7:00 – 9:00 am) @ Beals Preserve: Southborough Open Land Foundation event. Jeff Collins of the Massachusetts Audubon Society will lead a bird walk that will be part of the Audubon Birdathon
- Troop care package drive (9:00 am – 4:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Collecting and shipping donations to support the military overseas. (This will be the last drive with troops hopefully coming home soon). For more details, see dedicated post.
- Art Exhibit reception & workshop (1:00 – 4:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Students from the Bigelow Center for the Arts in Southborough will be exhibiting their works in the Library’s Eaton Meeting Room. The public is invited to the opening reception and a free art workshop. (The exhibit will run at the Library through June 6. )
- ARHS Junior Prom (7:00 – 11:00 pm) @ Union Station, Grand Hall, Worcester
Sunday, May 18, 2014:
- ARHS Post Prom Party (12:00 am – 5:00 am) @ New England Sports Center, Marlborough: The Post Prom Party is designed to be a fun, safe, alcohol-free, drug-free party for the entire Junior Class to enjoy (even if you don’t attend the prom). For more details, read the listing in the site calendar.
- Troop care package drive (9:00 am – 1:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Collecting and shipping donations to support the military overseas. (This will be the last drive with troops hopefully coming home soon). For more details, see dedicated post.