Before I list the week’s events, I wanted to share a related post by the Community Advocate:
Southborough family thrives on challenges and joys of being deaf
Mary Silvestri Simmons leads a busy life in Southborough as a wife, mother, artist, member of the Southborough Cultural Arts Council (SCAC), and owner -along with her husband Justin – of a new business, Expressions Art Bar.
Although both she and her husband are deaf, it has not prevented them from doing what they love and being a force in the community. (Read more)
Simmons is running one of the events below – a social/fundraising/painting night for SCAC on Thursday night.
Now, here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. (For more details and the full list of events in town, check the Event Calendar.)
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For the Southborough Library’s regular storytime programs, click here for their events page. For the Southborough Senior Center’s ongoing classes, click here for their calendar.]
Thursday, October 22, 2015
- Early Dismissal of Finn and Woodwards Schools (12:00 pm): Parent Teacher conferences take place this afternoon
- Half Day Fun and Games (12:00 pm – 2:30 pm) @ Woodward School: Woodward students can pre-register to stay after half-day school for fun in the gym. There is a $15 fee with proceeds going to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- SCAC painting party (6:30 pm) @ Southborough House of Pizza, 5 Main Street: The Southborough Cultural Arts Center is holding a sort of Paint and Greet. The free painting party is a chance to meet SCAC members and learn more about what they do. (For more details, see dedicated post)
Friday, October 23, 2015
- Free Senior Matinee (12:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: McFarland, USA (Rated PG: Drama film/Sport ‧ 2h 9m) The room will be open at 11:30 if you would like to bring your lunch early to the show. To sign up call 508-229-4453.
- Poetry Workshop Series (6:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Public Library, main floor: The Southborough Public Library & the Worcester County Poetry Association are teaming up to bring a short series of poetry writing workshops to the community! (For more details, see dedicated post)
Saturday, October 24, 2015
- Trevor the Juggler (3:00 – 4:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: The professional juggler will entertain families. Free public event – no registration is required.
- Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School Grand Reopening (9:00 am) @ AVRTHS, 215 Fitchburg Street, Marlborough: Celebration of the completion of the $62.4 Million renovation. Begins at 9 am with a coffee and pastry reception, followed by the official ribbon cutting at 10 am. There will be building tours , refreshments, entertainment and sports events throughout the day.
Sunday, October 25, 2015
- AVRTHS’ Annual Ski and Snowboard Shop or Swap (10:00 am – 2:00 pm) @ AVRTHS cafeteria at 215 Fitchburg Street, Marlborough: Assabet Valley Regional Technical High School event. If you’re in the market to purchase, sell or upgrade skiing or snowboarding equipment and clothing before the season begins, this is the perfect opportunity. (For more details, see dedicated post)