Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. (For more, check the Event Calendar.)
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For the Southborough Library’s regular storytime programs, click here for their events page. For the Southborough Senior Center’s ongoing classes, click here for their calendar.]
Monday, October 24, 2016
- Early Voting opens in Southborough (8:00 am) @ Town Clerk’s Office, Town Hall, 17 Common Street: Early voting opens today and continues until the November 8th election. For details, see dedicated post.
- Neary Family Literacy Night (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Neary School: Neary SOS fundraiser for families of Neary students, focusing on family literacy activities. For details, see dedicated post.
- “Library after Hours” Old Fashioned Covered Dish Dinner (6:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: The Friends of the Southborough Library are hosting an Old Fashioned Covered Dish/Potluck Dinner “after hours. Attendees are asked to bring a favorite dish to share with friends and neighbors, along with a suggested donation of $5.00 per person. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
- Finn & Woodward Principal’s Coffee (9:30 am) @ Finn Cafeteria: This event will highlight grade level math focus, why math is taught through strategies, what those strategies are, and ways to support your child at home.
- Finn Preschool Open House (1:00 – 3:00 pm) @ Mary Finn School, 60 Richards Road: Open House for Prospective Preschool Students for 2017-2018. Families interested in having their preschool aged children attend the Southborough Preschool Program for the 2017-2018 school year, are invited to visit the preschool classrooms.
- Tales & Tails (6:15 – 7:15 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Meeting Room: Therapy Dogs International will be providing wonderful dogs that your child can read to. Registration is required. Please sign up for a 15 minute slot in the Children’s Room. Children should already have some reading ability. To register, call 508-485-5031 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, October 27, 2016
- Introduction to Meditation (1:30 – 2:30 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: This session will explore the different forms of meditation from different cultures to help you find the right type of meditation for you. Some benefits include; reduced stress, lower blood pressure and helps prevent dementia. Suggested Donation of $3pp.
Spooky Glass Pendant Necklaces (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Main floor: Join craft programmer Deenie Pacik in creating your own customizable Halloween-themed fused glass pendant! This is an all-ages craft program for adult and young adult patrons.
Friday, October 28, 2016
- Finn Preschool Open House (9:30 – 11:30 am) @ Mary Finn School, 60 Richards Road: Open House for Prospective Preschool Students for 2017-2018 Families interested in having their preschool aged children attend the Southborough Preschool Program for the 2017-2018 school year, are invited to visit the preschool classrooms.
- Bingo (12:00 – 12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Come join Lena and Michael Gagliardi from “Around the Clock”for an afternoon of Bingo, fun, prizes and of course, jokes. Bingo will start promptly at noon. You can purchase a pre-Bingo lunch for $3, beginning at 11:15 am. (please sign up if you plan to use that option.) Or join them with your own lunch. Please sign up through the Senior Center at (508) 229‐4453.
- SYFS Town Halloween party (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Finn School Cafeterial: Southborough Youth and Family Services’ annual party for kids under 12 and their families. Halloween fun includes arts & crafts, face painting, prizes, games, and treats. Costumes encouraged. Admission is $5 per child capped at $15 per family. Adults must accompany kids. For details, see dedicated post.
Saturday, October 29, 2016
- Monster Dash 2k & Trick or Trot (10:00 am – 2:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: What better way to test out your Halloween costume than to take it on the trails! All levels welcome for the 2k at 10am and kids fun run at 11am. They’ll have some tricks and some treats and can’t wait to see your costumes. Member: $9/2k, $5/fun run; Nonmember: $15/2k, $10 fun run. To register, click here.
- Carve Pumpkins (10:00 am – 2:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: You can buy and carve your pumpkin $5 per pumpkin. (If you are participating in the Pumpkin lighting – place your pumpkin on the wall by 5:30 pm on Sunday)
Sunday, October 30, 2016
- SFA Halloween Parade (4:00 pm) @ line-up at downtown Main Street, across from Mauro’s Market: The Southborough Firefighter’s Association’s annual Halloween costume contest and parade. (Marchers usually begin convening around 3:30pm for the 4:00 pm parade.) Processsion ends inside the Fire Station. There, kids can collect treats, while they pass in front of a panel of judges. Trophies are given out for the most creative costume, scariest, and cutest costume. And of course there’s the coveted Captain’s prize.
- Pumpkin Lighting & Viewing (6:00 pm) @ Wall around the Old Burial Grounds (Common Street and St. Mark’s street): Residents can place carved pumpkins on the stone wall anytime before 5:30 pm that day. Lighting and viewing begins at 6pm and lasts long as the candles do. For details, see dedicated post.