Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town this weekend through next weekend.
(The gray font below is for previously established events that take place regularly – at least 2x per month or more frequently.)
Saturday, February 11, 2023
- Valentine’s Day Concert (9:00 – 10:00 am) @ Fay School: Children’s Musician Jeannie Mack will perform. Part of “Saturdays at Fay” free series for young children with their parents. Space is limited at the events and a registration is required to attend. For details, see related post.
- Kids’ Valentine’s Day Party (11:00 am – 1:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Party includes crafts, games, and cookie decorating. All ages are welcome and no registration is required. Sponsored by the Friends of the Southborough Library.
Monday, February 10, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Trottier Middle School’s outdoor track: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Knitting Club (1:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Bi-monthly social knitting group. Beginners are welcome and supplies will be provided, though you can also bring your own and “any creation you are working on”. For planning purposes, the Senior Center is asking potential attendees to RSVP. For details, see related post.
- Bereavement Group (1:00 – 2: 00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: The Bereavement Group is a monthly support group is for ages 50 and older. To sign up to join the group, please call Leslie Chamberlin, R.N. at 508-229-4453.
- Youth Writing Club (3:30 – 4:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: Weekly Library program for youth ages 11-18. Participants are invited to come share ideas and practice writing skills in a supportive environment. No sign up necessary.
- ARHS 8th Grade Parent Night (6:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School, 79 Bartlett St, Northborough: Presentation and tour for parents of potential incoming freshmen next year.
Tuesday, February 14, 2023
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years old and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Teen Book Club (5:00 – 6:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: This monthly book club run by the Southborough Library for high schoolers requires pre-registration. For details, see related post.
- Select Board Office Hours (6:00 – 7:00 pm) @ Town House Hearing Room, 17 Common St: Residents are invited to drop in to informally speak with two Board members about any questions, concerns or interests. This session will be hosted by Chair Kathy Cook and Member Sam Stivers.
- Poetry Workshop (6:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: Bring in five copies of original poetry to share. The group will provide supportive feedback. If you don’t have a poem, come anyway and share your insights. (Meets twice monthly.)
- Geeks Who Drink Trivia Night (8:00 – 10:00 pm) @ Owen O’Leary’s, 50 Turnpike Rd: Weekly Trivia game night with prizes. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, February 15, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Coffee & Connect (9:30 am) @ where: Panera, Westborough. Northborough/Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council invites NSPAC parents to join other parents who “get it” for a morning of support, advice, and encouragement. For details, see related post.
- Young Scientists STEM Beginnings (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: 1st class in a free 6 week series for kids ages 3-6 to learn Science, Technology, Engineering and Math concepts through hands-on activities, story time and simple experiments. Please register at the library or by emailing email@example.com. For details, see dedicated post.
- Crafternoon: Picture Frame Decorating (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Free craft program for ages 8+. Pre-registration is required and attendance limited. This session: Work with a variety of materials to make a unique photo frame. We can even print your photo to insert on the spot. For details, see related post.
- Southborough Rotary Club (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor: Regular meeting of the Rotary Club of Southborough. New and prospective members are always welcome. (Held on the 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of the month.)
- From Conflict to Collaboration virtual workshop (7:00-8:30 pm) @ zoom: A Parenting Coach will teach “A Parenting Framework that Brings Out the Best in You and Your Child/Teen”. The workshop is co-sponsored by NSPAC. For details, see related post.
Thursday, February 16, 2023
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Preschool Farm Explorers (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: For ages 2 years 9 months to 5 years old, Adult supervision required (discount for younger siblings and siblings under 1 yr old can attend for free) Your little farm explorers will become fully immersed in what life is like here at Chestnut Hill. Each session will have a different theme. (Offered twice per month.) Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
- Baby/Toddler Storytime (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: This weekly story time is for children age 0-2 years and their parents or caregivers. Each session will include puppets, stories, and music. No registration required.
- Genealogy Club (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Monthly informal group meeting to learn and share tips about resources for researching family history. Free and open to the public. Bring your laptop, log into Ancestry.com and join in.
Friday, February 17, 2023
- Dull Men’s Club (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Casual social club for senior men. New members are always welcome to drop in. For details, see dedicated post.
- Canasta (11:15 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Southborough Safe Spaces – Trivia Night (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St: Event for grades 6-12 hosted by Southborough Safe Spaces for LBGTQ+ youth of all faiths and their allies. Play Kahoot! with LGBTQ+ themed trivia. For details, see their website (and look for updates on Facebook).
Saturday, February 18, 2023 (First day of February Break for public schools)
- The Great Backyard Bird Count (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: Birdwatching led by a Trustees of Reservations Ranger and explore strategies different species use this time of year. For All ages/Family. Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
- Open Lab for Ideas (10:30 – 12:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: Biweekly program for 12-18 yr olds to explore how they can use Library equipment to take creative project ideas and make them a reality.
- Read to a Dog (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library: Program preferably for kids ages 5 and up with some reading ability. Each month, children can sign up to read a short book to a certified therapy dog. Register at the Children’s Room desk or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-485-5031.
- Mighty Aphrodite (11:00 am – 1:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Kim Larkin of Klassic Kreations will return to the Library with a playful program celebrating romantic dynamic duos throughout history, fun trivia, discussion and samples of aphrodisiac foods (including chocolate!), fun poetry and more. Sponsored by the Friends of the Southborough Library.
- All About Sheep and Wool (2:00 – 3:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: Learn about the journey from sheep to sweater. Touch wool at various stages of processing, and try your hand at carding and spinning yarn. For for children ages 4+ with an adult. Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
- 2nd Round – Winter Sow Seed Pickup (2:00 – 3:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center, 9 Cordaville Road: Drive-through pick up of pre-ordered free native plant seeds through Southborough’s Open Space Preservation Commission’s 2023 Winter Sow program. For details, see registration page.
- Sit & Knit (2:00 – 4:00pm) @ Southborough Library: Biweekly program for ages 18+ to drop in and work on your latest knitting or crochet projects while you enjoy the company of fellow yarn crafters in a relaxed social setting. All levels are welcome but no formal instruction will be given.
Updated (2/14/23 9:44 am): I learned about NSPAC’s events on Wednesday, February 15th and the second chance to pickup free seeds from OSPC on Saturday, February 18th.