Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town this weekend through next weekend.
(The gray font below is for previously established events that take place regularly – at least 2x per month or more frequently.)
Friday, May 26, 2023
- Flag placement for Memorial Day (6:00 – 7:00 pm) @ Rural Cemetery, Cordaville Road/Route 85: Residents participate in placing fresh flags on the graves of our Veterans to honor their service to our nation. Volunteers are asked to gather in advance in front of the stone structure by the maintenance building at the back of the cemetery. For details, see related post.
Saturday, May 27, 2023
- Electrical Appliance & Bicycle Recycle Day (9:00 am -2:00 pm) @ St Anne’s Church Parking lot, 20 Boston Rd: Bring in items to be recycled ranging from cables (for free) to mattresses (for $60). For details, see dedicated post.
- Sit & Knit (2:00 – 4:00pm) @ Southborough Library: Biweekly program for ages 18+ to drop in and work on your latest knitting or crochet projects while you enjoy the company of fellow yarn crafters in a relaxed social setting. All levels are welcome but no formal instruction will be given.
- Put a Spring in Your Step Guided Hike (1:00 – 2:30 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: A family friendly guided hike led by a Trustees ranger. Discover what’s springing up in the woods, on the ground and in the air this spring. Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
Sunday, May 28, 2023
- Hike with Goats (9:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: Your reservation gets you and your group of family or friends an hour-long experience with a friendly goat on its own harness and leash. You will first learn how to walk with the goat, and then you’ll be accompanied by a farm staff member as you and your new goat friend make your way around the farm and its trails. For details, click here.
Monday, May 29, 2023 – Memorial Day
- Schools and Public offices closed for the federal holiday.
- Memorial Day Ceremony (9:00 am) @ Parade of veterans, scouts, and school bands convenes in Main St Bank parking lot, then proceeds down Main St, left onto Cordaville Road, and through the Town’s cemeteries, with ceremonies along the way to remember veterans laid to rest. As usual, the public is encouraged to follow along. Observances will end at the All Wars Memorial with the traditional speakers and ARHS singers. For details, see related post.
Tuesday, May 30, 2023
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years old and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Narcan Training (4:00 – 4:30 pm) @ Southborough Library: The Greater Boroughs Partnership for Health are providing another session to train the public on how to use Narcan, plus the necessary supplies. Registration is required. For details, see dedicated post.
- Interview Skills 101 for Teens (5:00 – 6:00 pm) @ zoom: In this free virtual program offered by the Southborough Library and led by a professional job coach, young people will learn interview skills they can use as the apply for new jobs in the workforce. Registration is required here.
- Geeks Who Drink Trivia Night (8:00 – 10:00 pm) @ Owen O’Leary’s, 50 Turnpike Rd: Weekly Trivia game night with prizes. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, May 31, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Outside Preschool Yoga (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library lawn: A free Library program for children age 3-6 with parents (siblings welcome). A Certified Kids’ Yoga Instructor will lead children through a series of yoga postures, using games, music, and literacy activities. Yoga mats will be provided. Registration is required in the children’s room or by emailing email@example.com. (Last session.)
- Food Truck Festival (3:30 pm – 7:00 pm) @ where: Four dinner trucks and one ice cream truck will be parked on the downtown field. There is no admission fee, just the cost of food. Part of the series organized by the Southborough Rotary Club on four Wednesdays. For details, see dedicated post.
- Manga & Anime Club (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: This monthly book club run by the Southborough Library is for kids ages 12+ to discuss manga and anime with fellow fans.
- Celebrate Wellness Reception (time) @ where: Southborough Youth and Family Services celebration to cap off Mental Health Awareness month includes refreshments, live music, a community art gallery and recognizing the winner of the Laurie Sugarman-Whittier Wellness award. For details, see dedicated post.
- Read to a Dog (6:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Children’s Room: Children preferably ages 5 and up with some reading ability will read to Perla, a certified therapy dog. Please register in the Children’s Room (or email firstname.lastname@example.org /call 508-485-5031).
Thursday, June 1, 2023
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Preschool Farm Explorers (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: For ages 2 years 9 months to 5 years old, Adult supervision required (discount for younger siblings and siblings under 1 yr old can attend for free) Your little farm explorers will become fully immersed in what life is like here at Chestnut Hill. Each session will have a different theme. (Offered weekly.) Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
- Baby/Toddler Storytime (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: This weekly story time is for children age 0-2 years and their parents or caregivers. Each session will include puppets, stories, and music. No registration required.
- Neary/Trottier Chorus Concert (7:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium: End of year concert by members of the Neary and Trottier choruses (grades 4-8).
Friday, June 2, 2023
- Dull Men’s Club (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Casual social club for senior men. New members are always welcome to drop in. For details, see dedicated post.
- Kids Jam (11:00 – 11:30 am) @ Southborough Library Lawn: Kids are invited to dance and sing along to a variety of traditional and popular children’s songs Best for newborns through preschool age. No registration necessary. This event will be held on the library lawn. Sponsored by the Friends of the Southborough Library.
- Canasta (11:15 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group.
Saturday, June 3, 2023
- Yoga on the Trails (9:00 – 10:00 am) @ Sudbury Reservoir Trail: A free yoga session for adults. This free event is in support of Southborough’s Mental Health Awareness Month efforts. For details, see dedicated post.
- Early Childhood Fair (10:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ behind Finn School, 60 Richards Road: Free event for families with kids 0-5 yrs old. Parents will learn about community resources and kids will enjoy actvities, the Bumble Bus and more. For details, see dedicated post.
- Virtual Cooking Lesson (12:00 – 1:30 pm) @ zoom: Learn to cook Burmese Curry Noodles. Part of the Southborough Library’s free virtual cooking series. Pre-registration is required, and registered participants will receive a shopping list in advance to prepare for the class. For details, see related post.
- Shifstrong Home Run Derby (12:00 pm – 5:00 pm) @ Mooney Field/Finn School, 60 Richards Road: 2nd annual softball and baseball batting competition fundraiser for ALS ONE in memory of late youth coach Brian Shifrin. For details, see dedicated post.
- Southborough Democratic Caucus (1:00 – 4:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor: Southborough Democrats will hold a public meeting to elect delegates to the annual MassDems convention, which will follow in September. Any registered Democrat may vote, and the general public at large is welcome.
Sunday, June 4, 2023
- ARHS Graduation (10:00 am) @ Algonquin Regional High School
- Yoga on the Trails (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Sudbury Reservoir Trail: A free yoga session for teens. This free event is in support of Southborough’s Mental Health Awareness Month efforts. For details, see dedicated post.
- Dinner Church (6:00 pm) @ St Mark’s Episcopal Church: Join them for a sacred meal made together. Then light candles, sing simple songs, receive Holy Communion, and reflect and pray together. For details, see dedicated post.
- Shir Joy Chorus Concert (time) @ Congregation B’nai Shalom, Westborough: Central MA’s Jewish Community Chorus, is presenting a Live Concert. “Songs of Hope & Healing”, reflecting the group’s love of music and hopes for a brighter future. Tickets are $15 at the door or at www.shirjoychorus.com.
Updated (5/30/ 2310:58 am): I added the Shifstrong Home Run Derby to Saturday’s events and inserted the time for the Democratic Caucus.
Updated (5/31/23 12:31 pm): I added the Yoga on the Trails events this weekend.