The kick-off to election season began last week with the first day to take out nomination papers on January 9. Already we’ve learned that some incumbents in Southborough intend to run again, while others will give up their seats. If you’ve been watching from the sidelines and feel now is a good time to take the next step, here’s how to throw your hat in the ring.
Stop by the Town Clerk’s office in the Town House sometime before March 23 to pick up the paperwork. Then find 44 of your fellow residents (registered voters only) to sign your nomination papers, and return them to the Town Clerk by March 26. That’s it. Easy!
Here’s a list of the positions that will be on the ballot this year. All are 3-year terms unless otherwise noted. To see who currently holds each position, visit this page on the town website. Town elections are on May 14.
- Assabet School Committee (4-year term)
- Board of Assessors
- Board of Commissioners of Trust Funds
- Board of Health
- Board of Selectmen
- Board of Trustees, Library — 2 positions
- Town Moderator (1-year term)
- Northborough-Southborough Regional School Committee — 2 positions
- Planning Board (5-year term)
- Planning Board (1-year term)
- Southborough School Committee — 2 positions
- Southborough Housing Authority (5-year term)
If running for an elected position isn’t your thing, there are a number of appointed positions available where you can still have an impact. See a list of committee vacancies here.