Two more Algonquin teams got great press – Girls Soccer and Boys Cross Country.
In his decade as the Algonquin Regional girls’ soccer coach, Scott Taggart has seen that the determining factor in how far a team goes is often whether it has senior leadership and chemistry.
He says this year’s version of the always-competitive Tomahawks (2-0-2, 1-0 Mid-Wach A) has both.
“The team is shaping up well, every practice, every game getting better,” Algonquin captain Sara Berg told me. “We’re moving forward as a team, not individually. The chemistry is definitely there.” https://t.co/BNkE4MHAwy
— Carl Setterlund (@CarlSetterlund) September 19, 2019
The team followed that story with two more wins, bringing their record to 4-0-2. They aren’t alone in the category. Gonk Field Hockey and Girls Volleyball also remain undefeated. And, invitational tournaments aside, Boys Cross Country has won the only two official division meets it has run to date.
It’s one thing for a team to develop talent, but it’s another thing to find student-athletes who have the drive, passion and commitment to cultivate a vibrant, winning program.
The surging Algonquin Regional boys’ cross-country team, under the guidance of coach Nate Uttaro, are successfully accomplishing both, giving the Tomahawks an opportunity to become a perennial power alongside St. John’s, Wachusett Regional, Nashoba Regional and Shrewsbury.
High school cross-country: Algonquin Regional boys continue to make great strideshttps://t.co/rcVL68C275
— Worcester T&G Sports (@tgsports) September 22, 2019
ARHS Football went up against Shephard Hill on Friday. The school tweeted that it was a great game, and the score shows it was a close one. Unfortunately, the 38-41 score wasn’t in the THawks’ favor. That continues an over two season in league-losing streak.*
Now, here are the ARHS varsity games on tap for the week.
Monday, September 23, 2019
- 4:45 pm – ARHS Field Hockey vs. Shrewsbury High School @ New England Baseball Complex
Tuesday, September 24, 2019
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Cross Country vs. Leominster @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Cross Country vs. Leominster @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Soccer vs. Shepherd Hill Regional High School @ Shepherd Hill Regional High School
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Soccer vs. Shepherd Hill Regional High School @ Algonquin
- 5:15 pm – ARHS Girls Volleyball vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Algonquin
Wednesday, September 25, 2019
- 3:30 pm – ARHS Boys Golf vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Haven Golf Course
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Field Hockey vs. Groton-Dunstable Regional @ New England Baseball Complex
Thursday, September 26, 2019
- 3:30 pm – ARHS Boys Golf vs. Marlborough High School @ Juniper Hills Golf Course
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Girls Soccer vs. Wachusett Regional @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Soccer vs. Wachusett Regional @ Wachusett Reg. High School
Friday, September 27, 2019
- 5:15 pm – ARHS Girls Volleyball vs. Wachusett Regional @ Wachusett Reg. High School
- 6:00 pm – ARHS Field Hockey vs. King Philip Regional @ King Philip Regional High School
Saturday, September 28, 2019
- 8:45 am – ARHS Girls Cross Country Invitational – Ocean State Invitational Goddard Park @ Warwick, RI
- 10:00 am – ARHS Girls Soccer vs. Marlborough High School @ Algonquin
- 3:00 pm – ARHS Football vs. Groton-Dunstable Regional @ Algonquin
- 4:00 pm – ARHS Boys Soccer vs. Marlborough High School @ Whitcomb Middle School
Have a photo of your favorite team in action to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Algonquin Football did win two out of nine season games in both 2018 and 2017, but none against another Mid-Wach A league team. The last in-season league win was in 2016.