The Southborough Senior Center will be accepting registration for March and April programs this Thursday. With that in mind, it’s time to look at some of the programs they’ll be offering.
The programs were planned when it was still unclear what the Covid community infection level would be in early March. Therefore, there are quite a few that are “pick up” or remote programs. For those of you who miss in person programs, there are plenty of those starting later in the month.
Registration opens at 10:00 am on March 3rd. You can call 508-229-4453. As always, the newsletter notes:
Please do not leave any Voicemail Registrations on this day. You must connect with a staf member to register for all programs. After Registration Day, we can accept voicemails.
Three programs, starting next week, will have a St Patrick’s Day theme:
St. Patrick’s Day Goodie Bag Pick Up
Wednesday, March 9th (pick up time slots between 12:00 – 2:00 pm)
Sign up for a St. Patrick’s Day Goodie Bag filled with fun things to celebrate the Luck of the Irish. . . If you come to the following program—wear your Hat—it will make our day! (Free)
St. Patrick’s Day Meal Pick Up
Wednesday, March 16th (pick up time slots between 12:00 – 2:00 pm)
Schedule a pickup time for “your favorite” Corned Beef and Cabbage Irish meal and dessert. (Suggested Donation—$5)
St. Patrick’s Day Show—Zoom Style
Thursday, March 17th (2:30 – 3:30 pm)
Let’s join Michael Goodwin with the “The Songs and Stories of Ireland and the Irish”. The program is a musical trip through Ireland, along with some history of St. Patrick’s Day and the people of Ireland. It’s a combination of lecture and singing and video clips (Free)
For each of the programs above and below, more details are available in the latest Senior Center newsletter.
Another March program over zoom has no Irish twist:
Let’s Draw Cartoons Zoom Style
Wednesday, March 30th (2:00 – 3:00 pm)
Sign up for a fun hour of Cartoon Animal drawing with this Virtual Zoom program featuring award winning cartoonist Rick Stromoski. Learn to draw a variety of our furry, hoofed and feathered friends in this Fun Interactive and popular program! Followed by a Q&A. (Free)
For special events hosted in the center, the first up is one of their free monthly Matinees.
Prior to each movie, lunch from Kennedy’s market will be offered at noon (suggested donation of $5). Attendees can bring their own lunch to enjoy, or just show up for the movies that begin at 12:30 pm:
- Waking Ned Devine – Wednesday, March 23rd – PG-13 Comedy set in an Irish village in the 90s
- Respect – Wednesday, April 13th – PG-13 Biopic starring Jennifer Hudson as Aretha Franklin
A few programs focus on helping seniors, rather than entertaining. All of the below are free:
- Virtual Legal Advice – Wednesdays, March 9th & April 13th (4 time slots of 15 minutes starting at 10:00 am) (click here for insert with details)
- Technology Help – March 15th & April 19th (8 one hour time slots starting at 10:00 am)
- Senior Center Shred Day – Saturday, April 23rd (9:00 am – 12:00 pm)
Fun, in person events planned for April are:
- Adult Coloring & Lunch – Tuesday, April 5th (12:00 pm) – (Free)
- Bingo – Wednesday, April 6th (1:00 pm)
- Tina Bemis — Outdoor Spring Basket – Tuesday, April 12th (1:00 pm) – (Suggested Donation $20)
- Lunch on the Lawn – Wednesday, April 20th, 2022 (12:00 pm) – (Suggested Donation $5)
Though they aren’t bringing back bus trips yet, they are promoting another opportunity to purchase discount tickets for a performance at Hanover Theater:
- Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band – Friday, June 3rd (7:30 pm) – (Suggested Donation of $40 for tickets valued at $128)
The newsletter includes the regular weekly exercise classes, games, and social activities. In addition, they are promoting two free weekly Walking groups:
- Mondays (8:30 am) at Trottier Middle School’s outdoor track
- Wednesdays (8:30 am) in the Southborough cemetery next to the Senior Center
Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. Both locations are loops, so feel free to join late.
For more details on these programs, plus other tips, invitations, and news, click here. You can also check out the inserts that were included in the mailing using the following links: