Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week. For more details and the full list, check the Event Calendar.
Monday, May 11, 2015
- Southborough Town Election (8:00 am – 8:00 pm) Click here for details
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
- Summer Sides cooking class (12:30 PM – 1:30 PM) @ Southborough Senior Center: Need some ideas on how to make some quick, healthy and delicious side dishes for the spring and summer? Come to a class given by our dietitian, Karen White. Class will include food demos/ sampling/recipes and fun. When registering, please let us know if you have any food allergies. Call 508-229-4453.
- Tri-M Open Mic Night (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School cafeteria: Fundraiser by the school’s musical honor society. To feature ARHS students and alum Tickets cost $3 per student and $5 per adult. Also for sale – coffee, baked goods, and basket raffle tickets.
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
- Young Adult author event (6:30 – 7:30 pm) @ Southborough Public Library: The Young Adult Book Group will discuss the book A Mango Shaped Space. The group will skype the author, Wendy Mass. Bring your questions and your friends. This group is open to middle & high school ages.
Thursday, May 14, 2015
- From Cows to Computers: The ’70s in Southborough (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library: A discussion of the changes Southborough underwent as it moved from primarily a community of farms to a sought-after suburban community in the 1970’s. See dedicated post for details.
- Sleepy Teens: How Teens’ Brains Are Wired Differently For Sleep and What To Do About It (7:00 – 8:30 pm) @ Westborough High School Auditorium: Free community event for teens and parents – held by Wesborough Public Schools in cooperation with Westoboro Chapter of Start School Later. See dedicated post for details.
Friday, May 15, 2015
- Senior Center Free Matinee – Chef (12:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: This movie is characterized as a comedy, rated R and runs for approximately 2 hours. Down on his luck, a troubled chef attempts to repair the damage done to his professional and personal life. Sign up at the front desk or call (508) 229-4453. Room will be open at 11:30 for anyone who wants to bring their lunch
- Concert for Haiti (7:00 pm) @ Church of St. Anne, 25 Boston Road: A rock and rap concert to benefit St. Anne’s sister parish in Haiti. The event opens with high school rock band Indignous. (The group already has a studio album under their belt. This concert will be recorded for a new live album.) Next up will be rapper Lyon King. Part of King’s act feature rapper Word Problems. Finally, parish intern Paul Reuter’s rock band String Mechanics will play. (An earlier incantation of the band was Rhed, which has played the area for a few years. They’ve had some changes to members including a new singer and the introduction of a viola.) Tickets will be $6 at the door. (Or $5 in advance.) If you have questions email email@example.com.
Saturday, May 16, 2015
- Saturdays at Fay – Circus show (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Fay’s Primary School, 25 Middle Road: Saturdays at Fay is a series of free Saturday morning programs designed for children ages 2-8 along with their parents. This month’s program will feature Jedster the Jester Circus Show Come and watch Jedster the Jester perform amazing circus tricks, and then learn how to do them yourself at home! Circus tricks include juggling, balancing plates, making balloon animals, and basic magic. The program will be followed by a complimentary snack. Space is limited so please register online at www.fayschool.org/saturdays. Fay’s Primary School is located near the intersection of Routes 30 & 85. Please use the East Entrance at 25 Middle Road for access and parking.
- ARHS Junior Prom (7:00 – 11:00 pm)
Sunday, May 17, 2015
- Junior Post Prom Party (12:00 am – 5:00 am) @ New England Sports Center, Marlborough – via via bus to and from ARHS only: This year’s party will include ice-skating, a mechanical bull, remote control racing, bungee run, tattoo artists, psychics, caricaturists, photo souvenirs, arcade games, pool tables, movies, DJ, hypnotist, and more! Food and drinks will be plentiful throughout the night. Check-in will begin at 11:45 PM. Open to all Juniors, regardless of whether they attend the Junior Prom. To volunteer or for questions, please contact Sue Distler at firstname.lastname@example.org.