Here are highlights of what’s happening around town this week.
[Note: The highlights don’t include ongoing weekly programs. For those listings and more, check the Event Calendar.]
Tuesday, September 24, 2019
- Book Bugs: Farm Fun for Little Ones (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Chestnut Hill Farm, Chestnut Hill Road: Bring your little bug (ages 1-5) to the farm each month for an interactive children’s story time. We’ll read a farm story, make a craft, have a snack, and explore the farm! (There is a registration fee.) For details, see dedicated post.
- Crafternoon: Slime Time (4:00 – 5:30 pm) @ Southborough Library: One of the Library’s series of crafternoons led by crafter Mandy Roberge. This session is for ages 10+. Registration is required and space is limited. (Only one spot was left when I last checked, but you can see if you’re the lucky last one here.) This program invites patrons to create their own unique slimes, including fluffy, butter and original slimes. Each child will leave with 3 containers. (Slimes don’t contain borax, and are 100% safe for all skin types.) Sponsored by The Friends of the Southborough Library.
- Poetry Workshop (6:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Main Level: At the semi-monthly sessions, Everyone is asked to bring in five copies of their original poetry for supportive feedback. If you don’t have a poem, come and share your insights. The group meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month.
- APTO Welcome Back Night (7:00 pm) @ Northborough Library: a meet and greet for parents to talk to ARHS Principal Dr. Sarah Walsh and the Algonquin PTO. Refreshments and pizza will be served with $5 suggested donation. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, September 25, 2019
- Boundless Adventures (11:15 am) @ carpool from Senior Center: Outing for active seniors organized by the Southborough Senior Center’s Trailblazers. (Donation: $25) Ziplining and crossing aerial trails at the adventure park in Berlin, MA. (Beginners – advanced levels available.) For more details, see Trailblazer’s flyer.
- Getting the Help You Need to Stay Independent (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Free elder law and services advice for seniors: What will it take to keep your independence in your community? Refreshments sponsored by Mirick O’Connell. Sign up at the Senior Center or call 508-229-4453. For more details, see flyer.
- Tales & Tails (6:15 – 7:15 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: Children can read with a certified therapy dog from Therapy Dogs International. Contact the library to sign up for a 15 minutes time slot. Children should have some reading ability. Children can bring books or pick some from the library.
- ARHS’ Financial Aid Night (6:30 – 8:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School auditorium, 79 Bartlett St, Northborough: The School’s guidance department’s annual workshop on Financial Aid for parents of senior students planning to apply to college. You can see the video of last year’s event here.
Thursday, September 26, 2019
- Finn School’s Picture Day
- Trottier’s Project Unify Ice Cream Social (2:30 – 3:50 pm) @ Trottier Middle School: For Trottier students – Project Unify will be having a Say Hello /Back to School Party. All students are welcome to participate! (Please bring cash to pay for your own ice cream.) Please contact Mrs Lunder with any questions at email@example.com or 508-485-2400 ext. 65213.
- Tales & Tails (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: Children can read with a certified therapy dog from Therapy Dogs International. Contact the library to sign up for a 15 minutes time slot. Children should have some reading ability. Children can bring books or pick some from the library.
- APTO restaurant fundraiser (4:00 – 9:00 pm) @ MOOYAH Burgers, Fries & Shakes, 10010A Shops Way, Northborough: Algonquin PTO’s monthly fundraiser. Order at the counter, mention the APTO fundraiser, and a portion of your purchase will be donated to the Algonquin Parents Teacher Assoc. the Algonquin PTO. For details, see dedicated post.
- Parenting talk: Why Generalists Triumph (7:00 pm) @ Fay’s Root Meeting Room: Ideas&Insights at Fay School Presents “Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World” by New York Times bestselling author David Epstein. For details, see dedicated post. Parking is available in Fay School’s Harlow Circle. Please use the East Entrance at 23 Middle Road. Attending the series’ presentations is free to the public, but an RSVP is required to reserve your spot.
Saturday, September 28, 2019
- Fay School Farmers Market (10:00 am – 1:00 pm) @ Harlow Circle in front of Fay’s Primary School, 25 Middle Rd: Weekly farmer’s market this fall. For details, see dedicated post. This week’s theme is Yoga and Bubbles
- Start off the day with a parent/child yoga class from 10:00 – 11:00 am.
- Then, Mike the Bubble Man will perform a bubble show that combines science and magic from 11:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- After the show, stick around for our bubble wrap painted apple craft.
Sunday, September 29, 2019
- Learn to Build Your Own Backyard Pizza Oven (10:00 am – 4:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm, Chestnut Hill Road: Come to this ultimate DIY experience with stone and brick master, Martin Pearson, who will demonstrate how to build a backyard oven and cook pizza in it. Pre-registration required. For details, see dedicated post.
- Farm-to-Table Dinner (4:00 – 6:00 pm) @ Chestnut Hill Farm, Chestnut Hill Road: The 9/20 event was rescheduled to this time. Enjoy a lovely al fresco dinner at Chestnut Hill Farm! Advance reservations are required and registration closes three days before each dinner. For details, see dedicated post.
Updated (9/23/19 4:08 pm): I had the two Chestnut Hill Farm events on the wrong dates. They are this Sunday.