Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town this weekend through next weekend.
(The gray font below is for previously established events that take place regularly – at least 2x per month or more frequently.)
Saturday, April 8, 2023
- Kindergroup’s Easter Egg Hunt (11:00 am) @ St. Mark’s field (corner of routes 30 & 85): (This was originally scheduled for April 1st, but delayed due to rain.) The Southborough community is invited to a free egg hunt and to meet the Easter Bunny. No registration is required. (Attendees who can afford to are encouraged to bring a contribution for the Southborough Food Pantry.) For details, see dedicated post.
- Southborough Safe Spaces – Family nature walk (3:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Meet up at South side of the cemetery on Rt 85: Event for families hosted by Southborough Safe Spaces for LBGTQ+ youth of all faiths and their allies. Help leave little bits of love to be found! Walk with us through the Sudbury reservoir trail as we wander, chat, and find spots to leave our affirmation rocks. For details, see their website (and look for updates on Facebook).
Sunday, April 9, 2023 – Easter
- Easter Sunrise Service (6:30 am) @ Hopkinton State Park, marina area: United Parishes of Southborough welcomes the public to its annual service.
- [Note: For other Easter services inside Southborough churches, click here.]
Monday, April 10, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Trottier Middle School’s outdoor track: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Bereavement Group (1:00 – 2: 00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: The Bereavement Group is a monthly support group is for ages 50 and older. To sign up to join the group, please call Leslie Chamberlin, R.N. at 508-229-4453.
- Youth Writing Club (3:30 – 4:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: Weekly Library program for youth ages 11-18. Participants are invited to come share ideas and practice writing skills in a supportive environment. No sign up necessary.
Tuesday, April 11, 2023
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years old and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Teen Book Club (5:00 – 6:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: This monthly book club run by the Southborough Library for high schoolers requires pre-registration. For details, see related post.
- Talent Show Auditions (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium, 49 Parkerville Rd: Tryouts of residents in grades 5 through adults for the annual Talent Show sponsored by Southborough Rotary. Auditions must be prescheduled by contacting one of the coordinators. For details, see dedicated post.
- Poetry Workshop (6:30 – 8:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: Bring in five copies of original poetry to share. The group will provide supportive feedback. If you don’t have a poem, come anyway and share your insights. (Meets twice monthly.)
- Geeks Who Drink Trivia Night (8:00 – 10:00 pm) @ Owen O’Leary’s, 50 Turnpike Rd: Weekly Trivia game night with prizes. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, April 12, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Elder Law Advice (10:00 – 10:45 am) @ phone or zoom: Southborough seniors can sign up for a free 15 minute session of individualized legal advice from an Elder Law attorney. For details, see the Senior Center’s newsletter, p. 10.
- Crafternoon: Sew a Bookbag (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Free craft program offered by the Library for ages 8+. Pre-registration is required and attendance limited. This session: Make a one-of-a-kind book bag using simple sewing techniques. Participants must have basic sewing skills. For details, see related post.
Thursday, April 13, 2023
- ARHS Sophomore Parent Workshops (8:00 am) @ Algonquin Regional High School auditorium: Algonquin Guidance presentation for parents of 10th graders.
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Baby/Toddler Storytime (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: This weekly story time is for children age 0-2 years and their parents or caregivers. Each session will include puppets, stories, and music. No registration required.
- Books in Bloom Reception (5:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library main level: The opening reception with refreshments for an exhibit by the Southborough Gardeners. Flower arrangements will be paired with the book covers that inspired. For details, see dedicated post.
Friday, April 14, 2023
- Dull Men’s Club (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Casual social club for senior men. New members are always welcome to drop in. For details, see dedicated post.
- Books in Bloom Exhibit (10:00 am – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library main level: The Southborough Gardeners flower arrangements inspired by book covers will remain on display in the Library. No registration required to visit. For details, see dedicated post.
- Canasta (11:15 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
Saturday, April 15, 2023
- Books in Bloom Exhibit (10:00 am – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library main level: The last day of the Southborough Gardeners exhibit of flower arrangements inspired by book covers. No registration required to visit. (Some of the exhibits may be picked up before the end of the day.) For details, see dedicated post.
- Read to a Dog (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library: Program preferably for kids ages 5 and up with some reading ability. Each month, children can sign up to read a short book to a certified therapy dog. Register at the Children’s Room desk or by contacting email@example.com or 508-485-5031.
- Sit & Knit (2:00 – 4:00pm) @ Southborough Library: Biweekly program for ages 18+ to drop in and work on your latest knitting or crochet projects while you enjoy the company of fellow yarn crafters in a relaxed social setting. All levels are welcome but no formal instruction will be given.
Sunday, April 16, 2023
- Kid’s Church Movie Day (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Pilgrim Church: Part of the congregational church’s Sunday School celebration of earth day. This session, they will watch a movie about how kids contribute to protecting the earth. For details, see dedicated post.
- Yoga for grieving mothers (4:00 -5:30 pm) @ Theracopia Therapeautic Wellness Center: 54 Central Street: Free yoga, deep meditation and Reiki healing offered to mothers who have lost a child and their families For details, see dedicated post.
Updated (4/14/23 3:35 pm) I added the Kid’s Church program for Sunday.