Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town this weekend through next weekend.
(The gray font below is for previously established events that take place regularly – at least 2x per month or more frequently.)
Saturday, December 17, 2022
- Grand Tasting Event (12:00 – 6:00 pm) @ Southborough Liquor & More, 4 Main Street: Grand Opening with tasting. Customers can sample wine, whiskey, tequila, vodka, and beer. For details, see dedicated post.
- Children’s Christmas Pageant (6:15 – 7:30 pm) @ St. Anne Parish, 20 Boston Road: A dinner theater play highlighting the beginning of the Gospel of St. John, and the infancy narratives from the Gospels of St. Luke & St. Matthew. Please bring a small gift to donate to Seniors in Need. For details, see related post.
- Holi-gay Party (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St: Saturday Pride Identity Art Project hosted by Southborough Safe Spaces (A social group for LBGTQ+ youth of all faiths in grades 6-12 and their allies.) This event is for grades 6-12. Bring a gift for swapping (priced about $10) and an appetizer or dessert to share. For more details, see related post.
Sunday, December 18, 2022
- O’ Antiphon Vespers & Ornament Making (6:45 pm) @ St. Anne Parish, 20 Boston Road: The ancient liturgy will immediately follow the 5:30 pm Mass liturgy. It will feature Gregorian chant highlighting the Great O’Antiphon,”O Adonai,” a tradition dating back to the 8th Century. O’ Antiphon ornament making follows in the Parish Hall. For details, see related post.
Monday, December 19, 2022
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Trottier Middle School’s outdoor track: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Bereavement Group (1:00 – 2: 00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: The Bereavement Group is a monthly support group is for ages 50 and older. To sign up to join the group, please call Leslie Chamberlin, R.N. at 508-229-4453.
- Creativity Club (3:30 – 4:30 pm) @ Southborough, Library Teen Room: Young adults ages 12 to 18 are invited to drop-in to work on creative projects. Craft materials will be available and writing prompts and projects provided. No pre-registration required.
Tuesday, December 20, 2022
- Cancelled – NSPAC Meeting (9:30 – 10:30 am) @ Northborough Free Library, 34 Main Street: Northborough Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council general meeting. For details, see related post.
- Book Bugs: Farm Fun for Little Ones (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: Pre-registration (and fee) required. For ages 2 to 5 years old, adult supervision required (siblings under 2 yrs old can attend for free). Bring your little bug to the farm for an interactive children’s story time. We’ll read a farm story, make a craft, and explore the farm! Each day will have a different theme. (Biweekly program.) For details, see related post.
- Senior Songsters (11:00 am – 12:00 pm) @ where: The Senior Center’s singing group’s weekly rehearsal. This friendly group is open to any senior who enjoys singing regardless of ability. (Those who prefer to listen can sit in.) For details, see related post.
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Tuesday Tech Time (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library Teen Room: Each week, library staff and teen volunteers will make every effort to assist patrons with technology questions. Bring questions about ebooks and electronic resources. This is a drop in event; no registrations necessary.
- Mystery & Puzzle Book Club (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main level: This monthly book club run by the Southborough Library for grades 2- requires pre-registration. For details, see related post.
- ARHS Holiday Concert (7:00 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School Auditorium, 79 Bartlett St, Northborough: The school’s annual Christmas concert traditionally brings together both instrumental and vocal groups. For details see dedicated post.
Wednesday, December 21, 2022
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Gingerbread Cookie Decorating (4:00 – 4:30 pm or 4:30 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library: Each participant (ages 6+) will get to decorate their own gingerbread cookie. Pre-registration is required. For details, see related post.
- Southborough Rotary Club (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor: Regular meeting of the Rotary Club of Southborough. New and prospective members are always welcome. (Held on the 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of the month.)
Thursday, December 22, 2022
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Baby/Toddler Storytime (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: This weekly story time is for children age 0-2 years and their parents or caregivers. Each session will include puppets, stories, and music. No registration required.
- Festival of Lessons & Carols (7:00 – 8:00 pm) @ St. Anne Parish, 20 Boston Road: The Festival of Lessons and Carols is a service of Scripture and song that dates to the late 19th century. Listen to nine Scripture lessons followed by a carol/song that reflects the message and a brief prayer. The Festival in church will be followed by Christmas cookies & libations in the parish hall. Please bring a small gift to donate to Seniors in Need. For details, see related post.
Friday, December 23, 2022
- Schools early release: Public Schools of Southborough and Northborough kick off the winter break with an early dismissal. (School doesn’t resume until January 3rd.)
- Inclusion Coffeehouse (7:00 – 9:00 pm) @ 19 Carter, 19 Carter Street, Berlin: ARHS’ Unified Singing Club will participate in this inclusive musical event featuring songwriters, singers, dancers, poets and comedians. For details and to register, click here.
Note: Stay tuned for my annual post listing Christmas Masses, Candlelight Services, Carols, Pageants & Celebrations at the seven churches in town on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
Updated (12/17/22 10:01 am): NSBORO’s weekly newsletter alerted me to an Inclusion Coffeehouse on Friday that features Algonquin students.
Updated (12/17/22 10:22 am): I learned that NSPAC cancelled their meeting.