Before I cover Algonquin sports highlights — a reminder that tonight Algonquin is hosting a forum to discuss their big capital project to be voted on at Annual Town Meetings in Southborough and Northborough. They’ll be pitching the “GonkPlex” project to repair and enhance the outdoor athletic complex (fields, tennis courts, stadium, track, etc.). The forum is at 7:00 pm in the Auditorium.
Now, for a recap of how the Titans performed last week in gyms and arenas . . .
On Thursday, ARHS Boys Swim team headed to Tantasqua Regional’s pool where they won the Mid-Wach League Championships. The Telegram wrote:
David Hunyh won the 500 freestyle (5:23.72) and was second in the 200 individual medley, while Axel Soderquist was second in the 50 freestyle and the 100 freestyle and Jason Wong was second in the 200 freestyle as the Titans claimed the team title with 391 points at Tantasqua Regional on Thursday.
Algonquin also won the 400 freestyle relay (3:30.96).
According to the story, ARHS Girls’ Mina Chung won the 100 breaststroke, and her team came in 8th place out of 12. You can see the Telegram’s photos here.
The Telegram also covered the Titan’s achievements at Saturday’s MidWach A Indoor Track Championships. Algonquin Girls finished 2nd place, thanks in part to first place finishes by Ada Gebauer in the 2 mile and Ellie Westphal in the High Jump.
Titans Boys’ Miles Lipka cleared the highest jump for the Boys. The Boys also won the 4×220-yard relay.
Last Wednesday, Gonk Boys Ice Hockey’s home game included their annual ceremony remembering alum Brian Arsenault who lost his life serving in Afghanistan. (Read the Community Advocate’s coverage here.) Unfortunately, ARHS lost that game to North Middlesex 2-1.
The team came back on Saturday to beat Westborough 4-3 in overtime. (You can check out Telegram’s pics from the game here.)
Even before the latest win, the Boys reversed their slide in MIAA Division 2 Power Rankings. Friday morning’s update moved the Boys up from 11th place to 9th. Their record now stands at 10-3-2.
Despite a good week on the scoreboards, Algonquin Girls Hockey got knocked down in the rankings from 4th place to 6th. (That’s based on the timing of scores tallied on Friday mornings.) The Girls beat Longmeadow twice (6-4 on Monday and 3-0 on Saturday). That updates their record to 10-2-1.
Girls Basketball continues to hold steady at #30 in Division 1. They lost to Wachusett 30-47 then beat Fitchburg 52-17. Their record is now 9-6.
Meanwhile, the Boys continued their slide from 48th place to 57 even before their latest loss. (It looks like the playoffs are out of reach.) Last week, they were beaten by Wachusett 59-34 and Fitchburg 55-50. Their record now stands at 6-8.
In the latest Alpine Ski race, Titans’ Girls team came in 2nd place in last week’s race and the Boys 5th place.
Gymnastics was scheduled to compete against four schools last week, but the only posted results were their loss to Hudson on Wednesday. (No results were posted for either of Wrestling’s meets.)
On a related note, I’m also throwing in news about two Algonquin athletes who graduated years ago. Two former Gonk Football stars were added to Bentley University’s Hall of Fame for helping them win 37 times in four years and the college’s only two NCAA playoffs. You can read about that in a nice piece about the duo in MetroWest Daily News here.
Now, here are the ARHS varsity games on tap for this week:
Monday, February 6, 2023
- 3:30 pm – Girls Swimming – Coaches Invitational Swim Championship @ Worcester Boys and Girls Club
- 3:30 pm – Boys Swimming – Coaches Invitational Swim Championship @ Worcester Boys and Girls Club
- 6:00 pm – Girls Basketball vs. Wachusett @ Wachusett Reg. High School
- 6:30 pm – Gymnastics Meet vs. Multiple Schools @ Algonquin
- 6:45 pm – Girls Ice Hockey vs. Acton-Boxborough Regional @ Nashoba Valley Olympia
Tuesday, February 7, 2023
- 7:00 pm – Boys Basketball vs. Westford Academy @ Algonquin
Wednesday, February 8, 2023
- 5:00 pm – Girls Ice Hockey vs. Auburn @ Horgan Skating Arena,
- 8:15 pm – Boys Ice Hockey vs. Shrewsbury High School @ North Star Ice Sports
Thursday, February 9, 2023
- 6:00 pm – Ski Team Make up Race @ Ski Ward Ski Area
Friday, February 10, 2023
- 6:00 pm – Girls Basketball vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Algonquin
- 6:30 pm – Gymnastics League Meet vs. Multiple Schools.. @ Algonquin
- 7:00 pm – Boys Basketball vs. Shrewsbury High School @ Shrewsbury
Saturday, February 11, 2023
- 7:00 am – Wrestling Sectionals vs. TBA @ Algonquin
- 10:00 am – Girls Indoor Track – MSTCA “Last Chance” Qualifier Meet @ Reggie Lewis Track Center
- 10:00 am – Boys Indoor Track – MSTCA “Last Chance” Qualifier Meet @ Reggie Lewis Track Center
- 11:45 am – Girls Ice Hockey vs. Pope Francis @ New England Sports Center
- 5:00 pm – Boys Ice Hockey vs. Auburn @ Horgan Skating Arena
(To check for changes or find a complete schedule of Algonquin sports, including JV, freshmen, and unified match ups, click here. Follow these links for the Assabet sports schedule and the St. Mark’s sports schedule.)
Updated (2/6/23 6:44 pm): I just added the news about the former Algonquin star football players.