Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Here are highlights of what’s happening around (or related to) our town tonight through next weekend.
(The gray font below is for previously established events that take place regularly – at least 2x per month or more frequently.)
Friday, March 17, 2023
- NSPAC Mini Golf Fundraiser (4:30 – 6:30 pm) @ Trombetta’s Farm, 655 Farm Road, Marlborough: The fundraiser for Northborough Southborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council includes indoor mini golf, food, a raffle and more. For details, see dedicated post.
Saturday, March 18, 2023
- Read to a Dog (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library: Program preferably for kids ages 5 and up with some reading ability. Each month, children can sign up to read a short book to a certified therapy dog. Register at the Children’s Room desk or by contacting email@example.com or 508-485-5031.
- Town Meeting Info Session (1:00 – 2:00 pm) @ Public Safety Building Meeting Room, 32 Cordaville Rd and zoom; Join Town Moderator Paul Cimino to learn about Town Meeting. For details, see flyer right.
- Sit & Knit (2:00 – 4:00pm) @ Southborough Library: Biweekly program for ages 18+ to drop in and work on your latest knitting or crochet projects while you enjoy the company of fellow yarn crafters in a relaxed social setting. All levels are welcome but no formal instruction will be given.
Sunday, March 19, 2023
- Yoga for grieving mothers (4:00 -5:30 pm) @ Theracopia Therapeautic Wellness Center: 54 Central Street: Free yoga, deep meditation and Reiki healing offered to mothers who have lost a child and their families For details, see dedicated post.
Monday, March 20, 2023
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Trottier Middle School’s outdoor track: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Knitting Club (1:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Bi-monthly social knitting group. Beginners are welcome and supplies will be provided, though you can also bring your own and “any creation you are working on”. For planning purposes, the Senior Center is asking potential attendees to RSVP. For details, see related post.
- Bereavement Group (1:00 – 2: 00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: The Bereavement Group is a monthly support group is for ages 50 and older. To sign up to join the group, please call Leslie Chamberlin, R.N. at 508-229-4453.
- Youth Writing Club (3:30 – 4:30 pm) @ Southborough Library, Teen Room: Weekly Library program for youth ages 11-18. Participants are invited to come share ideas and practice writing skills in a supportive environment. No sign up necessary.
Tuesday, March 21, 2023
- Preschool Story Time (10:30 – 11:15 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: Join Miss Kim for stories and craft based on a weekly theme. Ages 2-5 years old and their parents or caregivers. No registration required. (Mondays & Tuesdays through most of the school year.)
- Bridge (12:00 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group, welcoming new participants. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Virtual Korean Street Food Cooking Lesson (5:30 – 7:00 pm) @ zoom: Part of the Southborough Library’s free virtual cooking series. (Pre-registration is required, and registered participants will receive a shopping list in advance to prepare for the class.) In this class, led by a professional cooking instructor, make chicken bulgogi bibimbap. For details, see related post.
- Geeks Who Drink Trivia Night (8:00 – 10:00 pm) @ Owen O’Leary’s, 50 Turnpike Rd: Weekly Trivia game night with prizes. For details, see dedicated post.
Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- FSYC’s March Munchie Madness @ Tomasso Trattoria: A portion of today’s dine in and takeout sales from Tomasso will be donated to Friends of Southborough Youth Commission (raising funds for their annual Camp Scholarships and the annual Winter Wishes programs). For details, see dedicated post.
- Walking Group for Seniors (8:30 am) @ Southborough cemetery, 11 Cordaville Road: Free weekly walking group organized by the Southborough Senior Center. Walkers generally go for an hour, but continue for as long as you wish. The location is a loop, so feel free to join late.
- Scam Presentation (1:30 pm) @ Southborough Senior Center: Pre-registration is required (and it may be full). Southborough Police presentation on active scams that are currently taking people for extreme financial hardships. ($3 suggested donation to cover lunch.) For details, see the Senior Center’s newsletter, p. 3.
- Cupcake Decorating (4:00 – 5:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, Eaton Room: Decorate a fancy cupcake and enjoy your delicious result. For ages 12-18. No registration necessary. For details, see dedicated post. (This event was postponed from last week.)
Thursday, March 23, 2023
- Mah Jongg (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: The weekly program would love new players to join. Feel free to stop by to watch or talk to one of the players to see if you would be interested. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
- Preschool Farm Explorers (10:00 – 11:00 am) @ Chestnut Hill Farm: For ages 2 years 9 months to 5 years old, Adult supervision required (discount for younger siblings and siblings under 1 yr old can attend for free) Your little farm explorers will become fully immersed in what life is like here at Chestnut Hill. Each session will have a different theme. (Offered twice per month.) Pre-registration (and fee) required. For details, see related post.
- Baby/Toddler Storytime (11:00 – 11:45 am) @ Southborough Library Children’s Room: This weekly story time is for children age 0-2 years and their parents or caregivers. Each session will include puppets, stories, and music. No registration required.
- Learn to Play Chess (5:00 – 6:00 pm) @ Southborough Library, main floor stacks: Learn to play chess with high school expert Luca! (Meet ups will occur biweekly.)
- Trottier Instrumental Concert (7:00 pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium.
Friday, March 24, 2023
- Dull Men’s Club (10:00 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: Casual social club for senior men. New members are always welcome to drop in. For details, see dedicated post.
- Canasta (11:15 am) @ Southborough Senior Center: A weekly card group. For details, contact the Senior Center at 508-229-4453.
Saturday, March 25, 2023
- Putting for Patients (10:00 am – 12:30 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School gym, 79 Bartlett St: description. The Algonquin Student Council is raising money for the Jimmy Fund. All NSBORO students, families, and community members are invited to attend for a low fee. Activities include mini golf, bouncy houses, face painting, carnival games, and concessions. For details, see dedicated post.
- Tomato Growing (10:30 am – 1:200 pm) @ Southborough Library, Main Level: Free presentation by the Blackstone Valley Veggie Gardens. This session, learn the best ways to maximize your tomato harvest. Made possible with a grant distributed through the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
- Annual Town Meeting (1:00 – 5:00 pm and 7:00pm – 11:00pm) @ Trottier Middle School auditorium, 49 Parkerville Rd: Southborough voters act as town legislature to appropriate taxes to fund the Town’s operating expenses (for the fiscal year July 2023 – June 2024), borrow money for big items/projects, and act on other issues such as creating/amending zoning bylaws. For details, see related posts and the Town’s website.
- Southborough Safe Spaces – Family Art Night (6:00 – 8:00 pm) @ Pilgrim Church, 15 Common St: Event hosted by Southborough Safe Spaces for LBGTQ+ youth of all faiths and their allies. Join us to paint affirming love rocks that will be brought on our April nature walk. For details, see their website (and look for updates on Facebook).
Sunday, March 26, 2023
- Interboro Community Band Concert (2:00 pm) @ Westborough High School auditorium, 90 West Main St, Westborough: Free instrumental concert featuring music from the movies.
- Symphony Pro Musica Concert (3:30 pm) @ St. Mark’s School, Putnam Family Arts Center, Class of ’45 Hall: For their 40th anniversary season the symphony will perform Mahler 5. Pre-concert talk – 2:45-3:15 pm. Students are always able to attend SPM concerts at no charge. For ticket prices and details, click here.
- Assabet Valley Mastersingers Concert (3:30 pm) @ Algonquin Regional High School, 79 Bartlett Street, NOrthborough: The “CORONATION CELEBRATION” concert of AVM chorus with soloists backed by an orchestra. For details, see related post.
Updated (3/20/23 7:48 am): I just learned that the boroughs’ community band is holding a spring concert on Sunday.
Updated (3/23/23 12:33 pm): The Growing Tomatoes gardening program was moved up on Saturday to allow people to attend both it and Annual Town Meeting.